Palpable

I submit to you the following track:

Contact Information

Performing Name: Beat Avenger

www.soundcloud.com/beatavenger

My userid http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=50030

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: Radical Dreamers

Name of arrangement: The Girl Who Stole The Star (Beat Avenger Remix)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Girl Who Stole the Star

Additional information about game: http://ocremix.org/game/53/radical-dreamers-nusumenai-houseki-snes

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

I just had to remix my favorite track from one of the greatest games ever, Radical Dreamers. Yasunori Mitsuda is one of the greatest composers ever. Check out his album Kirite, which was written to accompany a story by his longtime collaborator Masato Kato, who worked together with him on games such as Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, and he was also an Event Planner and Scriptwriter on Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears, which makes him video game Royalty.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting approach here. The idea of speeding up the original is a bit unique, and it allows you to work with the drums/synths in a different atmosphere. I feel like, however, that once you establish the song the development of the track stops. The original melodies are left pretty untouched and are serving for a background to the wubs which, after a while, loses steam due to being repetitive. I'd like to hear a lot more in terms of changing things around both sonically, melodically, and within the drumwork as well. Find ways for the track to develop more and build, maybe include a drop-out for some tension. Right now things are on auto-pilot and it's just not going to cut it as is.

The production needs a bit of work as well. Some of the synths are pretty piercing and could be toned down. Other synths feel a bit bland overall and are a bit generic. You work with the dubs pretty well, but the other aspects are lacking. A lot of the parts are pretty mechanical as well, adding some humanization will give the track a little more life.

Interesting start here, but there's a lot of work to go. You've got some production skills, so I'd like to see you tackle that and polish it a lot more, and then approach the arrangement to add more development and interest to the source. Good luck.

NO

Really good critiques from DA above. The beats and wubs are well produced and sound good, but beyond that, the rest of the elements (including those that offer source connection, are pretty bland and buried underneath. Drums could use some more variation as well.

There's quite a bit of reverb on a lot of elements, whichy muddies up the soundscape at various times. Sounds like that'll need to be cut back a bit.

Track definitely could use further development as, once it gets established, we basically get the copy/paste treatment as the track goes on.

I know I didn't say much about it, but the drum & wub bass parts are really well done here. Put the same amount of time & effort into the rest of the elemnts as you did those two and this song will be in really good shape.

No, resubmit please

I feel like there isn't actually much to this track. I mean if you take out the syncopated dub stuff running over the top of this, I feel like there isn't much the way of arrangement going on. Drums are similarly on auto-pilot the whole time; the wubs mask the fact that they are very simple and repetitive.

Not really feeling this track at all; needs some more arrangement beyond a simple "wubgrade."

NO, resub