*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Danza del Mundo Oscuro'

djpretzel

Seems strong to me... djp

* Contact Info

Remixer Name: SirRus

Email Address: Ravi.U.Sharma-1@ou.edu

*Remix Info

Name of game Remixed: Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)

Name of song Remixed: Dark World Theme

Your own comments about the mix: I think its kinda cool. This sounds pretty Latin... but I'm actually Indian. Dot, not feather.

THE LINK:

Song title: "Danza del Mundo Oscuro"

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Dark World" (loz3-12.spc)

The overall feel is rather unique compared to other material on the site, but once again it's just sloppily put together. I'm not sure where the peaks are here, but tracks is too much on the loud side. Once the hand drums really faded in to a strong volume at :23 they got loud and made the entire soundfield a mess until :35.

The brass at :35 for the next section with the Dark World melody reference sounded a bit lower-fi (made up a word!) than the previous section for some reason. Watch the abrasive treble levels from :48-:51 and 1:18-1:21. Keyboard at 1:01 was very mechanical sounding, but reasonably buried in the back even if it stuck out too much to me.

No transition whatsoever at 1:31, which was very weak and sounded a lot more abrupt than any of the other transitions here. Guitar was lo-fi and panned hard left from 1:31-1:39 for no good reason; don't do that so drastically when it's the only instrument in play.

Soundfield started to get noticeably cluttered after 1:39, as the texture was pretty lacking to me. Some of the guitar strumming didn't even seem to lock together correctly with the other instruments. Then at 2:09 with some beats brought in, everything sounded extremely cluttered and indistinct with no sense of direction in the writing and no sense of the instruments working as a team.

Top it off with that terrible ending with 0 closure at 2:50 and I'm left shaking my head. The arrangement as a whole isn't a bad idea, and the way most of the passages shift around could work, but this just isn't well put together. You have something that relies on the usage of assorted "exotic" sounds rather then the effective piecing together of arrangement ideas and said sounds.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Larry. Everything is really messy here. From the mixing (MASSIVE bass drum that overrides everything else?) to the rhythm matching, to the overly-powerful bass, to the general mud of the soundfield, the execution as a whole needs a lot of tightening up and polish. I do agree that the arrangement is good - you have some creative ideas here, and the variations on the melody are interesting. But WTF is that ending? Come on, man..

Refine, resubmit.

NO

the density is cool. ah there's a lot going for this track. the horns are a bit loud. there are generally some volume balance issues. sections like 1:20 are repetitive and clumsy, but then sections like when the guitars come in 1:45, that's great. again, some volume issues, the lead is quiet, and i'd say there ought to be more going on with the lead. then the horns come in and drown out the lead.

work on volume and trimming some of the fat. the ideas are cool, but they are beaten to death past their usefulness.

oh and there's no ending.

work on that.

NO