ReMix Info

Game: Jazz Jackrabbit

Song ReMixed: Tubelectric

Title of ReMix: Futilectrik

System: PC

Composer: Robert A. Allen

Year: 1994

Publisher: Epic MegaGames

Link to original (midi): http://www.vgmusic.com/music/computer/microsoft/windows/Jazz_Jackrabbit_-_Tubelectic.mid

Source: http://www.doulifee.com/prc/TheOrichalcon/Tubelectric.s3m

One word: Repetative.

This is standard dance-music and doesn't utilise a great deal of arrangement ideas at all. You have the sound down, but you need to throw some integral arrangement ideas in the creative process.

The beats in this sound all right, but they're the same basic pattern playing over and over again with little interpretation beyond introducing and reintroducing the same elements over and over again. For a trance-style piece such as this, I'd expect the melody to be constantly building throughout the course of the mix rather than repeating itself over and over through to the end.

I pretty much said all this to you before you submitted the mix and it doesn't sound like you've changed much at all. So what I said then still stands.

NO

Well that's awfully disappointing. You were certainly groove-biasing me with the way this opened up. Too bad the beat goes non-stop like this. Aside from the beats though, you at least tried to go off on several minorly different variations of the melody, which turned out ok. The synth textures, IMO, were working pretty well here. Go for even more interpretation with the arrangement, and more dynamic contrast. (Weak as hell BTW, that shitty and eternally tacky cymbal shot ending. It does not get any more uncreative as an ending. Work on that close!)

What was comparably holding this back though was the production. The sounds in play were nice and beefy, but the soundfield was too cluttered, and there were some occasionally piercing frequencies. You need more separation of the sounds in play with some judicious EQing, and despite the full atmosphere you need a cleaner overall sound. For a 165kbps VBR encoding, this sounds more like 96kbps CBR. It's a long way from say, bLiNd's quality. Look in the ReMixing forum for help on that so your stuff doesn't inadvertently sound lo-fi.

Keep making use of the resources here to improve your material bro. This was a promising start. I don't believe you're at the level to get this passed with one resubmission, but I don't think you should drop this one altogether. Get more experience under your belt and then revisit it. I'll be hanging onto this, for verily thou hast groove-biased mine ears.

NO (rework/resubmit)

When's Bladiator gonna work futher on "MC Jazzer" and submit that? This game needs more love.

Pretty much covered already by the other judges, so I'm gonna be glib here.

Straight forward arrangement, basic production values.

I think the synths generally are basic and uninteresting with some exceptions. Really dug the section at 2:20 area, the synths and grooves in that region really hooked me. I think you need to use less reverb and delays for music of this genre especially. It will cut down on the lofi aspects of the mix.

Keep at it, this is probably the first mix of yours that I remember. There's a lot of promise here and I certainly want to hear more from you. I'll be listening to this one though, it's a fun listen, regardless of the aspects of technical related issues.

NO