*NO* Secret of Evermore 'Evermore is Nevermore Forevermore' *RESUB*

djpretzel

Has to win points for the title, at least... -djp

LT Edit - Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57630

This is actually a remix of a remix I submitted nearly a year ago. It was rejected the first time but after much hard work, determination and quite a bit more electronic music experience, I believe I am ready for a second shot. Here's a link to my unbuilt geocities site where the remix is currently being held prisoner: . I would've made a direct link to the download but, for some reason that wouldn't work. Oh well, more button clicking for you!

This is a ReMix from Squaresoft of America's only title: Secret of Evermore for the SNES. The remix, Evermore is Nevermore Forevermore, is sprung from the Opening Credits theme. I don't know if that's the official title or not but, eh, it makes sense. Background info: the title of the remix is sort of a line taken from the game itself. I don't believe you guys at overclocked have this game's delightful score in your archive as of yet, so here's a link to where I picked it up at: http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profile=set&selected=2282

My remixer name is DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff; it's a pun! Get it? The name scrawled across my birth certificate is Dylan Napier (I was named after Bob Dylan... for your information). And, in case you don't already know by now, my email address is dj.skratch.n.sniff@gmail.com.

I chose this song for one simple reason: Jeremy Soule, the original composer, is freaking brilliant... kind of; outside of this title I haven't really enjoyed much of his other work, but Secret of Evermore is one of my favorite video game scores. Much to my own surprise though this remix is more reminiscent of something produced by Akira Yamaoka (of Silent Hill fame). The tempo has been slowed down about 30 bpms and could, more or less, be classified as down tempo. There are some things about this mix that may turn a few people off. The last forty seconds or so is nothing but zombie moaning-esque ambience and a very free range piano take on the original tune's primary melody. The time signature changes a few times (from 4/4 to who knows what (I was never very good at figuring that sort of thing out)) as well. Hopefully you shall all discover my true brillance though and I shall finally be welcomed into your fine community with open arms. I have quite a few other projects that I am working on as well that I'd love to submit.

Cheers!

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/soe.rsn - "Introduction" (soe-02.spc)

Well, it's certainly different than the last time around. Awfully sparse, minimalist deal you got going on. The percussion REALLY drags on after a while; it sounds way too beginner-ish. Source tune isn't really being meaningfully arranged, IMO.

1:46 continues on the same path only with some added synth instrumentation. The arrangement isn't "crazy", but somehow seems all over the place. Man, no offense, but this is like Shnabubula, only without any skills. Seriously, it might be Sam's bastard half-brother that no one in his family ever talks about.

Nice try at avant-garde or whatever, but there's simply not much going on in terms of polyphony/texture, synth design, or arrangement.

NO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

percussion is quite dry and not interesting enough to hold itself at that slow tempo. I could think of several things that would fill that gap better. Not to matter.

The mix takes a while to come in properly, we get a rather groovy bassline that comes in around 0:55, even if it is buried beneath the weird sound effects that are over the mix. The general sound is an interesting concept, but it's just really poorly executed. The percussion sounds random and never really solidifies into anything that could be considered a pattern. The whingy synth thing from 2:00 is just awful.

Concept? Yes. Execution? No.

NO

Seriously, take this one to WIP and get some help with it. The concept is nice, and I think it could be pulled off to be quite a nice minimalist mix with a LOT of work.