Legend of Legaia-As The Town Sleeps

Garpocalypse

Hey everyone,

This was my entry for PRC 234. I made a few changes from the last version and I hope to get this submitted asap if anyone thinks it has a shot at passing. I took the bass out of the center as well as a few other instruments and made a number of other changes that shouldn't be too noticeable.

The background is intentionally repetitive and I tried to keep things interesting throughout. If it's not working let me know. :)

I used:

Dimension Pro

Korg M1 Le

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/garpocalypse/legend-of-legaia-as-the-town

Source:

As an added reference, I tried to do this remix in the style of one of my favorite composer's late 80's early 90's sound. http://www.edvanfleet.com/music3.html

Hard to grasp the rhythm before the heavily reverbed backing stuff comes in.

Bass might be a tad too loud. I'd give it a longer decay, lower sustain and slightly longer release. The mix feels weird when the bass drops out between notes.

2:05, clashing. That whole part has some strange harmonies overall, but most of it just sounds weird, not wrong.

There's some occasional timing issues. Yeah, they add realism. Yeah, they can still do that even with some timing edits. 1:42, 1:55, 2:10 stand out, but there's probably a few others.

Sounds design is really cool, but there's some cleanup left to do before I'd be happy with it. I would...

-try to reduce that occasional super-bright piercing thing in the flute

-likewise the sustained synth in the 0:30 part

-definitely do something about the fm synth at 0:54; it's a great sound but it's too shrill here. either reduce the fm strength or eq it. i'd start with the former.

-1:32 could use some slightly softer or less bass-y pads, since the bass needs a little more room in that part of the track

It's a bit on the repetitive side, but it works imo. It's a little hard to get a good grip of the arrangement, but it feels like the same track throughout, and does seem to have an intro-main-break-main2 structure to it. Source is there, and imo interpreted enough.

There's some nitpicky things I'd be bothered by if I made it and it got posted. This sounds like it could get posted, just make sure to file off the shrill edges and clashes and stuff before subbing.

Nice work. :D