*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Dire, Dire Consequences'

djpretzel

I hope you guys think this is good enough to at least be close to your standards. I realy enjoy listening to it...it's very interesting. It takes Dire Dire Docks in a diffenrt direction than most other mixes in that not only is it flipped to a minor interpretation, but it also merges with a Donkey Kong Country 2 song. The SPC file is just called lava as far as I can tell. The length is just a tad over 3 minutes, I hope the transitions arn't too crazy for you guys :). Also, I hope the distorted guitars arn't too loud, I think I did pretty well on this one....I hope you feel the same way. If somthing bugs you to the core and you wish for a revision, I could posibly sneak this onto sound click as an "electronica/rock Cover" and put the copyright as nintnedo :P...and work out minor things perhaps...we'll see what happens...I'll leave it as a free mp3 so you guys can download it :P!

But for now...you can use the link that is the subjuct part of the e-mail. The song is over at VG mix, and has gotten good reactions so far :)!

Thanks for listening guys,

Jredd-

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkq.rsn - "Hot-Head Bop" (dkq-14.spc)

http://www.zophar.net/usf/sm64usf.rar - 09 "Dire, Dire Docks"

Heh. Interesting choice of synths for the opening. Everything sounds very lo-fi and the sounds lack texture. The "Hot-Head Bop" melody coming in at :52 is panned a little too widely. Changeup at 1:04 brings the sound quality down like it's at 64kbps, the production here is so muddy and dull. By 1:30 the beat pattern was dragging on; work on writing something more varied and interesting there. 1:46 brought in some ridiculously crunchy synth guitar riffing that buried every other sound. The mixing was way too messy. You can just tell when people don't use any headphones to mix. The reviews for this on VGMix simply weren't criticial enough, and border on unconstructive.

I appreciate how you've been constantly changing the instrumentation around to create some variation on that level. Token reference to "Dire, Dire Docks" from 2:40 until the end. The potential for improvement is there for future works, but this just sounded poorly put together to me. Needs improvement everywhere.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

the paddy things at the beginning have an odd release. ah :45=sexyness. The bass and bell-esque instrument work incredibly well. I wish the samples were a little smoother. The arrangement almost excuses the poor sound quality, but not quite. I'd like the track to be longer. otherwise, please work on the sound quality and resub. there are some great moments in this track.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so getting a Jazz Jackrabbit vibe from the opening synth. Sounds like Medivo.

This is way cool, sounds like old *.mod style mix. The changeup at 1:04 does sound a little strange, the percussion is causing that, though it builds up nicely at 1:29. The synths and such dotting the background of this mix are really nice.

The guitar at 1:50... why oh why did you choose something that sounds so abbrassive and out of place for this style of mix? Seriously, get someone to record you some proper guitar there, and master it proper so it's in the background of the mix. That's the only major problem I have with this mix. If you fixed that, I'd give this a yes. The low-quality sound gives this mix character, as it fits the style nicely.

Like Vig said, I'd like this mix to be longer, it has room to develop. Maybe head back into the guitar section with a few change-ups. Whatever works.

Either way, please rework that guitar and resubmit this. I'd love to see this end up on OCR, and it would be a shame if it didn't.

NO