*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Glenntastic'

djpretzel

Hey folks.

Yeah, i know. I'm rather fixated on that theme. But it has much possibilities! This time a rather clubbish / dance-ish remix of the frog's theme.

Linkage:

I hope it's fairly enjoyable this time around. The earlier remix i sent in (a year ago?) was total crud.

One thing that bothers me is the bitrate, since files can only be 6 megs, i had to render it to VBR (+/_ 144kbps... :S)

Oh yeah, the remixer info:

Name: NeoS

userID: err... i gave it a couple of emails ago.

Remix info:

Game: Chrono Trigger

Song: Frog's Theme

System: SNES

I hope that's enough. Later! ^_~

Overlong, repetitive, and devoid of any strong melody. Worst of all, there seems to be little respect for Frog's Theme itself, slicing and simplifying it to the point where it bears only a passing resemblance to the original.

From an arrangement standpoint the first 1:30 of the mix is superfluous. On the whole I'd say this ReMix devotes 95% of itself to the dance groove and 5% to any kind of melodic idea.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Kaeru's Theme" (ct-1-19.spc)

Immediately hit with straight out of the box beats, the track went on without touching upon Frog's Theme until 1:05. Even then, the usage there really felt like an afterthought, though it's pretty overtly used here in the big picture. Things picked up a little more at 1:33, but the lead synths are thin and all clash together indistinctly. The beats are also way too basic and repetitive.

2:53 at least had you do something with the theme in a much more upfront manner. With some more body on that lead, it could sound pretty cool. As soon as the beats came back in at 3:20, they dominated over the top of the melody, which was poor form, IMO.

Everything with regards to the arrangement after that point was fairly repetitive up until 4:42 which had some better presented ideas now that you changed up some of the sounds.

Anyway, the sounds were pretty thin, the beats/foundation didn't have much variation, the rearrangement attempt was there but rather simplistic, the soundfield was cluttered, and there was a lot of fat that needed to be cut off. Not terrible, but not particularly successful either. Keep working for improvement in future projects, bro.

NO

The introduction, to be honest, does not fill me with confidence. Pausing at :20, i predict a fairly generic techno remix that often feels sparse, with a groove that never changes, has nothing more harmonically complex than a major or minor triad, and has little relevance to the original.

holy cow. The melody isnt even in the right key.

All my predictions were correct.

NO