*NO* Punch-Out!! 'Punch Out, Kick In'

djpretzel

Hello. Evil Horde here.

Punch Out´s music has haunted my mind since childhood so I thought I´d finally remix it.

Completed in only few weeks, the remix bears the title "Punch Out, Kick In".

My remix uses two of the awesome themes; mostly the training theme (or as some call it, "Nigga stole my bike" theme) and the other popular theme. Not sure what it is but I guess its the fight/ringtheme.

The idea behind it all is to convert the awesomeness of the game into an 80´s heavy metal adrenaline rush. So the tempo is way up as is the energy level. It has three guitar solos and a synth lead solo and they´re all recorded as single takes to maintain the 80´s feel. So there might be a few "slips" in there but thats the rock´n´roll spirit. Everything is played by me, and everything is PLAYED, except the drums.

Info

Title: "Punch Out, Kick In"

Artist: "Evil Horde"

And here we go :

Thank you,

Evil Horde

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/punchout.zip - Tracks 20 & 23

Intro sounds rather nasty on the first listen. Melody kicked in at :35 and the soundfield is just swamped with a very low-quality mush of instrumentation. The only things I could even distinguish up to 1:21 were drums and guitar. Solo guitar riffing starts at 1:21 and the lame, plain-jane drums are wearing thin. It sounds like someone playing this through huge speakers covered up with thick blankets.

The arrangement, though cover-ish, is somewhat alright as a lot of new writing was evident in the supporting instrumentation. Nonetheless, the percussion needs to be given some creativity and the production here needs major help. A very disappointing mess, Janne, one would hope the raw recordings resulted in something that can even be salvaged. You're capable of stuff that sounds much more competent.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Those synths do sound rather nasty as an introduction. Probably could put something nicer there, maybe even just introducing with guitar.

This is several steps below Hangarmageddon on the quality of the tune. You had such a nice clear sound with that one, so I know you're capable of producing a proper piece. The drums do sound very generic here. That might work here if they're properly mastered so the focus is on the guitar and it's not so hidden in the noise of the mix.

The semi-drumsolo in the middle of the piece is probably unnecessary as it just alerts the non-observant listener that the drums are indeed rubbish. The guitar is clearly played well and would probably be very enjoyable to listen to if the track was just mastered better. Take this one back to the drawing board and work on remastering it. Replace the drums with something thicker and sharper if you can, less repetative, and then resubmit, 'cause I'm loving that guitar.

NO