Sonar X2 Drumming

or rather, "drum sequencing". Just yesterday I downloaded the trial version of Sonar X2 and it's pretty sweet so far. Once you get onto how it does things, it's pretty straight-forward. There is just one thing I can't seem to figure out though. Is it possible to load your own drum samples into the step sequencer? I can't even seem to trigger audio clips via MIDI controller as an alternative method :(

Since I'm still figuring it out, and because it is a demo, perhaps I'm just missing something obvious in the setup or maybe it's a limitation of the trial? I tried Google, but couldn't seem to find the answer. Maybe I was just using the wrong keywords or something.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help!

Oh, EDIT: By the way, if you can load your own samples into the step-sequencer, would the "essentials" version of X2 have the same capability?

I thought the step sequencer was just an alternate view to the piano roll? aka you use it on a drum VST track.

Yeah. If you have something like superior drummer, you can trigger the samples with the step sequencer. Each note in the step sequencer is set to a note on the piano roll.

What I mean is can you use the step sequencer to trigger samples that are not from a VST plugin. Is that doable in Sonar? If so, how?