DragonAvenger

1) Remixer Name- Sir-Mixes-Less

2) Real Name- Daniel Lesuer

3) Contact Email-

1) Game Being Arranged- Super Mario Bros

2) Name Of Arrangement- How To Walk Like A Star

3) Name Of Arranged Song- Starman Theme

4) Original Composer- Koji Kondo

5) Due to the frantic nature of the original Starman Theme, it naturally raises the pulse of the player and an idea occurred to me "what if Mario just decided to take it easy and fight the impulse to move as quickly as possible and just went along with the flow and took a layback stroll through the mushroom kingdom?" I was leaning more towards the original Starman theme and wanted to distance it from Powerful Mario, as I wanted to retain as much of original progression of the few chords, without the song becoming too unrecognizable(the song is simple enough where it needs to be as close to the sources so it can still be identified no matter how it is remixed) and uses as much of the calming atmosphere as I can to set the proper mood, like towards the end, where rather than just stop, it continues on, as if passing on by, cool and calm.

---------------------

So, the source only has 3 elements to it. The do do doo, do do dododo; the bassline; and the two chords (which are not exactly uncommon). The first two are pretty much just not there, so how is anyone supposed to know this is the starman theme at all?

Chill though it may be, this is way too liberal, and not identifiable enough. You spotted in your comments that that is the challenge of arranging something like this, and I don't think you've done enough here.

NO, bordering on override?

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

* While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.

* The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

Emphasis added. On both counts, this is where we're bumping into trouble.

This is just too stripped down; it's certainly using the progression, but as Fishy said to me, "the progression could be anything, without the other parts [of the source]." We ALL know what this is alluding to in context, but that's too minimal of a usage of Starman. Even for legal purposes, like if Koji Kondo wanted to sue you ( :lol: ), he wouldn't have the grounds to. For all intents and purposes, this is an original song, so we don't need a third vote on it.

NO Override

You need more than only the chords to connect the arrangement to the original, otherwise, it could be referring to ANYTHING. Perhaps consider adding some elements of "Powerful Mario" from Yoshi's Island/Mario 64 fame, or just see how else you can subtly add the other parts of the core Starman theme.

Source usage issues aside, this was a really cool track, and well put together. If you incorporated the Starman theme more overtly into this (and it doesn't have to be as a loud lead, it can be the light piano or another subtle instrument), this could totally pass, Daniel, so don't take the rejection as a reflection of either your skills OR the quality of this piece. Definitely don't hesitate to submit something else, your sound is excellent.