*NO* Metroid Prime 'Glacier One'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: Agent Whiskers

Song Title: Glacier One

Game: Metroid Prime

Arrangement: Phendrana Drifts

Instead of doing traditional remixes, I like to rearrange songs I love and make them my own. I tried to make sure the spirit of the original was not lost. Thanks for listening to my work!

Regards,

Essam

--------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of potential in you from this track. The arrangement shows a lot of creativity and taste. The structure of the track is awesome, the dynamics are great, you've got fantastic melodic and harmonic ideas.

Unfortunately there are three issues with this track that bring it down a lot.

1. The rhythm section writing is seriously lacking in energy. The bass does almost nothing other than sustained whole notes. Same issue with the chordal instruments. This seriously drains the track of momentum and rhythmic energy.

2. Perhaps as a function of the above, the sections can become quite repetitive. In a given section, the melody tends to be the only thing changing over a looped rhythm section, which just isn't interesting.

3. your sounds are uninspired. Not a whole lot of personality in the sounds you're using.

I forsee great things from you in the future.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Considering how underwhelming and general-MIDI quality this mix started out, I'm actually rather surprised by how much I enjoyed your arrangement, and I'm glad Vig picked up on that as well. Really great dynamic control that, despite the problems that I'm about to go into, really had me captivated as a listener.

There's some great ideas going on here, but the biggest problem right now is definitely your sample quality. Pretty much across the board, it sounds like you're using mostly low-quality soundfonts without any capability for expression. Your track could benefit greatly from more of a soundscape and higher-quality, more cohesive sounds.

There are free sample packs available, such as Kontakt factory selection, Alchemy Player, and a myriad of other resources available if you do some searching that will let you achieve better sounds than this. I've remixed this same source with mostly free samples and got some pretty good results, but my arrangement was nowhere near this good. If you ever want to collab or just want some additional feedback, PM me! :-) I'd be happy to work with you to try and get this up to the bar.

NO (resubmit!)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man I love Phendrana Drifts! :D

I really like how this piece evolves. Jesse and Wes are right about the structure and dynamics; really excellent stuff.

I don't have as much a problem with your sounds as the other Js do, but I will agree with Jesse on the idea that your droning, sustained bass and chords kind of pull the energy down a bit. Some subtle pulsing and maybe some stronger rhythmic ideas could really help with that, I think.

This is really almost there. Just a little more...

NO, resub