*NO* Final Fantasy 5 'Worlds Anew'

DragonAvenger

Dear submission team,

Thankyou for accepting my last submission: Quicksander. It was wonderful to see all the feedback it received, to see people's opinion of the genre of dubstep change and above all else, contribute to your awesome site.

I am submitting another remix which I hope you'll also find acceptable, this time from Final Fantasy V. The file is attached and the details are below. If you require any further info, please don't hesitate to let me know :)

Backup link to remix download:

ReMixer name: A.COE

Artist ID: 10989

Name of the game: Final Fantasy V

Name of arrangement: Worlds Anew

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Dragon Spreads Its Wings (aka Spreading Vast Wings), The New Origin

Original composer: Nobuo Uematsu

System: SNES

Links to original soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGasykbsZ8I

Personal comments:

Final Fantasy V isn't as widely praised as VI or VII, but it's the first I've ever played while being introduced to the series by a Japanese friend of mine. At the tender age of 10, I was awestruck by the emotion of the music despite the limitations of the technology. It's quite possibly THE game that got me into wanting to make music. I wanted to create a piece that focused on the uplifting feel of the original dragon theme from the game, but only with a more modern and aggressive edge, while still keeping the adventurous undertones that the Final Fantasy series is so well known for.

Much regards,

Alex

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

Nice big sound. It's important to suck people in with the intro. You do that effectively. Nice punchy kick, though that bass synth could use some sidechaining. The breakdown at 1:00 could have been more gracefully introduced. The bass at 1:30 is too loud. I know it wants to be big, but the problem is there's other stuff going on, so instead of just having the bass take up the whole soundscape, it's just sitting on top of the other synths.

I'm finding one of the biggest problems is that your chord synths are rhythmically extremely dull. You gotta add some sidechaining and rhythmic energy to make space for what is an awesome bass and very shiny sleek chords.

Okay on the whole, I seriously dig your arrangement and sound design, but I think you gotta do some mixing stuff to make space for everything so it isn't so crowded.

Close call for me, but you've gotta make room for that bass.

NO

• 2 months later...

agreed about the bass, especially in the intro, it could definitely either use some sidechaining, or a wider LFO. it kinda sounds like one big long flat note and it needs more movement to it. I'm not extremely familiar with FF5's music, but this happens to be one of the songs in which I am, and I was definitely picking up on the arrangement throughout, and overall the production is close. I'm really leaning towards a yes on this one, but I can't disagree with Vig's crits regarding the bass being too loud during the drops, and the overall mix is a bit hot and crowded. it might be a matter of dialing down your individual instruments and then using some tasteful EQ and compression on the master to get it to the loudness you want without it sounding so crowded.

anyway. I think there's more you can do to make that bassline even more interesting, especially during the drops. but a more well-balanced mix would be enough to flip my vote on this one.

NO(borderline, please resub)

Sounds pretty beefy. When the melody entered at :27, the soundscape was fairly cluttered and the countermelody, while probably subtle on purpose, was almost completely obscured. Same with 1:21-1:48; the melody was totally obscured so the balance between parts is weak, and the overall levels were just insanely over the top.

Yeah, this arrangement was pretty sweet, so I was surprised there could be 2 NOs. But it's all about the mixing being jacked here, so I don't really need further play-by-play. halc's right when he describes this as both hot and crowded, and it needs to be fixed.

Don't touch the writing, but adjust your levels and declutter the dense sections. Hey, wouldn't be the first time an awesome arrangement got sent back due to the production being a mess. Tighten it up, and let's get this posted, Alex!

NO (resubmit)