*NO* Raptor 'Back to Bravo Sector'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

this is my first try for a submission, so sorry in advance if something formal went wrong. (doh! already misspelled the mail address...)

I'll just answer the questions from the site:

REMIX: (file download is enabled)

- Your ReMixer name: COLTH

- Your real name: Sven Puth

- Your email address

- Your website: only a soundcloud account - http://soundcloud.com/colth

- Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 47799

Submission Information

- Name of game(s) arranged: Raptor: Call of the Shadows

- Name of arrangement: Back to Bravo Sector

- Name of individual song(s) arranged: I'm not really sure, probably "Bravo Sector One"

- Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Found Raptor in your database already

- Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): Only found a youtube video for the song -

- Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

After a long time of messing around with FL Studio and creating my own tracks I wanted to give it a shot and try to make a video game remix since ocremix actually made me want to make music (again). I used to write simple MIDI Songs as a kid and had a break over years afterwards. I had to pick a song but couldn't decide. I wanted something not too common but a game many people knew. I listend to an old tape of old dos game music I recorded from my old computer and I chose Raptor. Loved the music. Guess it doesn't need any other reason.

The style is very much my own, I love chiptunish music and try to mix it with popular elements but I know I still got a long long way to go if I wanna try to catch up with my heroes on ocremix.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

Nice groove, but that opening synthesizer is a bit muddy. Needs some EQ. The talking massive stuff is cool but seems a little randomly inserted. Actually that's probably the biggest problem with the track: the ideas seem disjointed and the writing is cluttered, without much consideration for dynamics or direction. You gotta have a plan for the track.

NO

• 2 months later...

Been thinking on this one for a while. I think Jesse's crits are very valid, but I don't think the arrangement is as disjointed as he implies. I never really felt like things were out of place or completely unrelated. I do think the ideas feel a bit one after the other, and some more integration of the ideas together would help make the puzzle fit a bit more strongly.

The production I will definitely agree with Jesse on, especially in regards to the dynamics. There is a lot that can be done here in regards to volumes that would really help make things be more interesting and add some more flow to the piece. I encourage you to look into that as well as some ways to clean up the sounds a bit.

I think this is close, but I'd like to see Sven add a bit more too it.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't agree with Vig either about the arrangement being disjointed. The structure was there, the dynamics just ended up flatter than they should have been.

This was a pretty interesting arrangement with a lot of good things going for it. The chiptune-ish instrumentation was pretty cool, but a lot of the non-chiptune instruments were lacking

Opening sounded interesting though it was possible the synth design could end up pretty boring. It's on the generic side, and the intro of the flimsy beats at :37 meant that the soundscape would never feel full. The percussion writing's not bad, it just needs more meat to the sound, IMO.

The organ timing from 1:45-1:58 & 2:49-3:02 just sounds too mechanical for an instrument that needs humanized timing to sound good. That part probably sounded the worst out of anything in the track. The saws/synths from 2:10-2:23 were pretty cheap-sounding as well.

Both Vig & Deia mentioned the overall lack of dynamic contrast here, and it's mostly because you're coasting off 1 beat pattern and it makes the energy level VERY static and plodding. The beat pattern changes that were already there were a decent start and pretty creative. Most of 1:05-3:22, however, was the same drum pattern and definitely got boring quickly. Even though you're going for a fairly subdued groove, you need to employ some other instrumental, rhythmic or textural changes to create more development and evolution in the composition.

So to summarize:

1. You need dynamic contrast.

2. You need more variation in the percussion writing.

3. You need more humanized-sounding sequencing/timing for the organ at 1:49 & 2:49.

4. The beats were too thin and need a richer sound to better fill out the background.

5. Look into modifying some of the synths (e.g. saws at 2:05/2:10) with creative processing, effect, etc. to not sound so generic.

Good effort so far, Sven. I disagree with DragonAvenger that it's close to passing, because there's a lot of parts that should be addressed. That said, you're showing some legitimate arrangement skills and definitely demonstrate potential. Please don't be discouraged.

Even if you don't make it onto OCR with this mix after attempting to improve it and resubmit it, you do have some arrangement skills and I liked many of your instrumentation ideas. Keep polishing your skills.

NO