Rooftop Run/Reach For the Stars/Endless Possibility Remix

Pl511

Final Update

And it's done! A few things messed up in the mixing process, but I'm happy with it and I think it's done. :D Not going to submit, but I'll use a lot of what I've learned in future tracks. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Update 3/10/12

stats.png

And it's done! Or at least the full arrangement is. I'll obviously be changing any problems with mixing and mastering if people can tell me. I'm really happy with happy with how this turned out, and I'm going to put it up for a Mod Review of that's okay. ^^

Version 0.6.1!

stats.png

UPDATE 2/5/12(Version 0.5.1):

stats.png

Finally almost a full song! I'm really excited with how this is going at the moment, and - although there are a load of things to clear up, the arrangement is really coming together and a lot of the work I've put into learning how to do these drums has paid off quite nicely. ^^ If you guys have any suggestions for what I should do next (possibly might be heading into something like 'Endless Possibility' from Sonic Unleashed as well, or going back to Rooftop Run for the ending), that would be awesome because I haven't got so much feedback yet... ^^;

stats.png

REALLY basic stuff right now, but it's my first time programming drums so I'd like to get some feedback to see if I'm doing right. ^^; I'm planning on making this a full length remix using piano and woodwind instead of guitars.

Edited by Pl511

stats.png

Finally starting to feel like a real track. :D Still a lot of work to go, even on the current sections (a few levels are a bit out in the woodwind, maybe needs some more background interest, and I need to do a slight bit more velocity on the 3rd kick of every bar) but overall this is shaping up quite well. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the drums, because it's my first time doing them so I might need a few pointers here and there.

stats.png

Version 0.3.1! Finally seeing some real progress in this mix. I fixed up a few things that didn't work so well, and added a new section that will lead into the chorus of Reach For The Stars (from Sonic Colours). I'm going all out with what I can really do in this so far, and I'm liking the results so far.

stats.png

With a few little things fixed up and a preview of what Reach For the Stars is going to sound like in this, here's version 0.4.1. This might be the last version for a while, and I'm sorry it ends so abruptly but I sort of ran out of time to work on it for the rest of the week. XD As usual, feedback would be really appreciated!

stats.png

Finally almost a full song! I'm really excited with how this is going at the moment, and - although there are a load of things to clear up, the arrangement is really coming together and a lot of the work I've put into learning how to do these drums has paid off quite nicely. ^^ If you guys have any suggestions for what I should do next (possibly might be heading into something like 'Endless Possibility' from Sonic Unleashed as well, or going back to Rooftop Run for the ending), that would be awesome because I haven't got so much feedback yet... ^^;

Drums are alright, but you gotta layer some more punchiness into that kick and snare. I'm barely hearing them. Toms are rather spatially narrow.

First impression on the piano and it's actually getting a little buried a bit by the hi hats. Strings are a little bit slow on the attack and need more variation on the articulations to match the played notes.

The hi hats seem to be playing too often and are too loud.

Arrangement is a bit simple. Otherwise, it sounds good.

SONIC REMICKS!!!!

Crap I just remembered i've been meaning to remix this source for awhile.

Drums are sort of apart from the rest of the mix, like the orchestra is playing on a stage but the drummer is right in the middle of the audience for some reason. Not blended as well as it could be. The highhats are distracting too.

Try taking the piano out of stereo for most of the mix. At least until the solo at the end. It's muddying up the rest of the instruments and it's a little awkward sounding.

The mix as it is is still pleasant sounding. Not abrasive or painful to listen to which is great. I think the swells come out too much and take shift the listeners attention in a bad way though. Clean up the piano and tone down the swells and this would be a fantastic mix!

In certain cases, it is possible to get mixes on OCR that incorporate midi instruments. I don't think this is one of those cases, and I am sorry. All of the sounds are not much better than MIDI sounds, especially the drums. Some of the other instruments may have been workable into a song that didn't have such an overabundance of midi instruments, but when every single one of them is a midi sound it just doesn't sound good. I really like that you tackled Sonic Colors! As enjoyable of an arrangement as you could make, the sample quality just isn't doing it any favors at all. You could potentially find someone to collaborate who has some better sound sets. It's tough starting out and not having access to all kinds of high end sounds, you almost have to turn to the unspeakable act of piracy unless you happen to be very, very rich. I wish I could give you somewhere to turn concerning better samples, but honestly, I don't know myself if there are any good free libraries you could use to improve this. This actually reminds me a lot of Rexy, but she has purchased or acquired a bunch of libraries to help her music sound bigger and less MIDI over the years. It almost seems like something you HAVE to do, but there are some DAWs that have decent built-in sound sets... but unless you've got a huge chunk of cash for something like Cubase 7, that isn't going to help you either. If you had that kind of money, you could just buy the VSTs. ;-)

The writing is charming though, so do not be discouraged. Especially that piano outro, I really like that. The writing is a bit rigid and it doesn't sound like it was actually performed, which is something you could look into improving on for your entire song. Writing naturally timed parts, and having realistic velocities is a good start. I'm really bummed out that I can't help more about the sample issues, but maybe someone else has some ideas as to what you could use. Your writing deserves some higher quality sounds to go with it. Probably my only good advice would be to find a collaboration partner who could help you take your song above and beyond. Good luck with this and I hope you are able to figure it out...