Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Portable Remix - "Meus Caligo Hora"

ad.mixx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok I usually wouldn't do this for this type of mix, but I'm putting this up for mod review (and bumping so that it may be seen). I'd especially like feedback on the use of the xylophone in this mix. I feel like too much humanization especially in timing makes the song sound weird, and think it's fine as is -- but more ears on this mix in general wouldn't hurt.

Thanks a bunch!

edit: oops link wasn't updated, but now it is.

Edited by urdailywater

Xylophone is a tricky thing to work with, it never sounds quite right, whether it's the mixing or the timing. I'm not at all bothered by the timing here, it works fine.

It's quite bright and annoying tho. Notice how the track becomes so much more pleasant at 1:38 when the piano takes over. But that's not the xylophone's fault, sounds like the bells are a bigger problem. Those could be a lot softer and probably have their harshest frequencies cut with a really narrow 10dB cut. I do that on bell-like sounds that are too shrill, and it sounds like you could use that trick here.

So yeah, xylophone is fine. Works well. If it has any glaring problems, they're currently masked by the loud bells and other things.

The rain effect is a bit loud, and I wonder if the piano melody would work better an octave down. Not my call, but I thought I'd suggest it. The part after the break has a lot of loud instruments, you could probably spend some ear time figuring out what's too loud there and do some subtle level edits.

Drums feel clunky. You could probably work with their timing a bit.

Sounds quite conservative. There's a lot added behind the melody, but I'm not sure it's enough to get posted. Only one way to find out, tho. ;)

Soundwise, this is some of the best stuff I've heard from you. Keep going. :D