DragonAvenger

Contact Information

ReMixer name: ChaoSynthesizer

e-mail address:

userID on forum : 50709

Submission Information

original game: Doom (music from e1m8)

arrangement name: Shadows Of Kadath

song name: Shadows Of Kadath (same as above, it's a single song)

Composed by myself, using Cubase 5 with East West Samples, Access Music synths and Kontakt sampler

A short work I made while dicking around on my DAW, took me a couple of hours but I really like it, so I thought it was worth giving a shot. it starts like a modern version of the original song then it drifts towards some movie score, to end in some mix of dubstep and orchestral.

hope you'll like it, thanx in advance.

cheers and beers

Stefano

--------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Very vibey. Not crazy about the tone of the guitars. lots of 2-3kHz making it really shrill. Going back, this is very similar to the source in arrangement. Same tempo, same key, same structure. Your drop is pretty cool though. Nice bass. You do add a lot to the texture with the strings.

This track is pretty good, but for an arrangement this conservative to pass it's got to be over-the-top crazy good in execution. I think you should just elaborate a bit more on the arrangement. It's a close call, but a bit too conservative for me.

NO

• 2 months later...

Had to listen to this one for a while. I really love the buildup you have going on here, especially as it reaches it's peak near the end. Really really good anticipation for that, so nice job there! I do have to agree with Jesse, though, in the end. This is really pretty close to the source in a lot of ways, and while there is some personalization going on, I think ultimately it stays a little too close for our standards. I think adding some more details lie you did with the strings, and maybe some other original sections and melodies will really help this out and get it where we would want it to be, but I also think as a stand-alone cover this is pretty good as well. Hope to hear this one again, but I would understand if you like it as-is. Good luck either way!

NO (resubmit)

Opened up with a pretty interesting sound; nice and ominous. Melody arrived at :31 with a purposeful distant quality to it. 1:00 featured some bowed string coming in underneath, along with some countermelodic string work at 1:16. Nice start here that got me intrigued.

The mixing seemed very strange at 1:30 when more elements were introduced. You had a pretty powerful orchestral ensemble playing very strongly, yet the sound of the orchestra was muted and placed way the synth lead; the orchestra should have been surrounding the lead, not stuck behind it.

The style changed at 2:00 with the addition of some rumbling. Really bad brass articulations from 2:04-2:07. The bass kicks introduced then were powerful yet quiet. Actually, pretty much everything was super quiet, which makes 0 sense. Why were the levels so muted? The vox created a lot of background mud, obscuring the brass and absolutely burying the supporting string from 2:36-3:05, which might as well have not been there. Everything was 1:30-on was a cluttered mess. Usually, Vig notices these things, so I'm not sure why he didn't hone in more on that issue.

Also, the melodic arrangement on the brass from 2:06-3:06 became plodding and boring by the end of the track. You need to create more melodic interpretation or instrumental variations for the lead so that the arrangement doesn't drag out. The supporting instrumentation is gradually building up was a good technique, but the leads were flat.

Things were going well, Stefano, until the soundscape became super muddy from 1:30-onward. Figure out what changed there to cause the sound to go from clear to muddy and fix it, and make the second half of the arrangement more creative and varied as well.

NO