remixer: 4 Keys

email:

user id: 22714

Submission info:

Game: Crystalis

Name of arrangement: Frozen Hell

Name of actual song: Mt sabre theme

My comments:

Yep, another Crystalis remix. I figure since it took me so long to getting my first mix submitted, I would shock all and do another remix based on the same game with all the attributes I have gained since. I hope you like it! Thanks for everyone and their support!!!!

----------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Okay this mix is suffering from the most common problem for this type of mix: muddy guitars. You've got a ton going on in the low-mids (~125Hz-500Hz) and it's all smearing and making the mix dull.

I think your arrangement is cool and creative. Unfortunately you've really got to clean out the mix a bit.

Work on tha tmix and resubmit.

NO

• 4 months later...

Definitely a muddy soundscape. Something about the backing writing from :23-:35 was weak and didn't move the :36-on was better at driving the track forward. The guitars at :11 were pushed too far back, although they sounded like FL Slayer stuff the way the articulations sounded; if there's any way to get a better lead guitar sound, go for it.

That supporting writing from 1:23-1:35 sounded like an awkward fit, not that it affected the decision.

Basically sounded like a copy-pasta loop of the verse at 1:53. Yep, it was. Some variation for that verse would have been good. Switched to a more electronic deal with laid back bass and beat from 2:35-3:05. Really poor synth lead there with super stiff sequencing, along with cheap-sounding claps that were mixed too loud and didn't create a cohesive sound.

Well, I'll say this, Mike; your last sub took 4 tries to get it up above the acceptance bar, but you HAVE done it before. The arrangement has merit, so don't be discouraged. You're using a pretty different sound palette here, so it's understandable that it's not as polished as how the previous mix ended up. That said, this track definitely needs a lot of work in terms of the production.

Vig's right about the way the guitars are mixed. Beyond that, some of the supporting instrumentation sounded really poor compared to everything else (e.g. the guitar lead at :11, the drums from 1:23-1:36, the synth lead from 2:42-3:05, and the layered claps from 2:42-3:03); there's definitely a quality disparity with some stuff used here. If you're still interested in working on this further, use the Workshop resources here and see how much you lift this up.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Larry put in a lot of good crits. I definitely think you should take what he said and see how you can fix these issues up. It will definitely be a learning experiance for you, but I know you can handle the feedback to keep coming at it. Larry's also right that the writing here has some good merits, and the mix overall is an interesting listen. Definitely look into clearing up your parts and expanding on your writing a little.

NO (resubmit)