*NO* Metroid Prime 'You'll Want Your Gravity Suit'

DragonAvenger

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review my submission. Here is the link to my remix, and I will also attach the mp3 as well, just in case.

Download link -

Contact Info:

Remixer Name - Justice Z

Real Name -

Email:

Forum userid - 39595

Submission Info:

Game arranged - Metroid Prime

Arrangement name - You'll Want Your Gravity Suit

Song(s) arranged: Underwater Frigate Reactor Core (primary); Data Selection Screen (snippets)

Comments:

Well, I've been sitting on this remix for a long time. I wrote the first iteration back in late 2010, almost entirely in a single sitting. That was a productive night!

Around January of this year, I decided that it was time to bring the remix up to my current production standards. The results of that updating are what you hear now. I've been a bit nervous about submitting my remix (if that's not clearly evident from my long delay), but I figured what the heck. No risk, no gain! It's been commented that it runs a bit long, but I just don't have the heart to cut it short. The original track sets a completely peaceful and ambient mood, and I really wanted to create the same atmosphere with my remix (though with a bit more energy).

I'll not go on and on, since I don't even know if this will make it through or not. Thank you for taking the time to listen, and accepted or not, I hope you guys enjoy it. :)

Cheers

--------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFGvDMfdH1o

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

I actually think this is closer to the bar that Vig gives it credit for, but you do need to clean up the soundscape some and introduce further variation into the picture.

I actually liked some of the sounds here, in that it definitely reminded me of European VGM arrangement scene music and some OCR stuff from ye olden days. The main difference between those throwbacks and this though is that the soundscape here was needlessly muddy/delayed. Despite the lower encoding, U-ji's Zillion "Melodic Trance" mix compares way more favorably to this as far as the mixing goes.

By 2:16, yeah, I was seeing where Vig was coming from. There's some good energy at the core here, and obviously some additive writing introduced midway through, but the overall arrangement was too repetitive. The part of the arrangement handling the main source tune needed more variation. Right now the core pattern arranged from "Underwater Frigate Reactor Core" basically sounds the same in your mix from :43-3:58 & 4:39-5:11, and it does drag out. Since slimming this down seems off the table (though it shouldn't be, IMO), perhaps there are some instrument or rhythmic changes you can throw into the picture.

The way you break down and rebuild the textures was definitely well in the right direction, and the additive writing was all well done too. But at the core, there's a lot that ended up being a little too repetitive due to the treatment of the core pattern. It was a close call in terms of the panel vote, but I think FFmusic Dj's Shadowrun "Running the Cyberpunks" is a great example of how to provide subtle but constant evolution of an upbeat arrangement.

Definitely worth revising if you're up for it, Z. This has good potential. I hope this isn't the last we hear from you.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am somewhere between Larry and Vig here. I think there are some solid ideas here, but at the same time the soundscape is sparse and repetitive. I'd love for you to hit a happy medium here of shortening up the mix and adding more variation to the parts. I don't think there needs to be major additions, but overall more variation to keep things interesting. Good luck!

NO (resubmit)