OCR02916 - *YES* Sonic Colors, Sonic & Knuckles + Bastion 'Gone' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

• 1 month later...

The vocals and instrumentation at :15 were dropped WAY too much compared to the first version; pretty sloppy/lazy. It may be done to make the volume increase at :49 give off more dynamic contrast, but it really isn't working. You probably should have recorded a more quietly played take, not merely cut down a loud part, but the musician Js could give better advice on how to tweak that drop so that it actually works. But do resist lazy "quick fixes" like that, it makes it looks like you don't have attention to detail.

:50-on sounded swank. 1:05's vocals should be louder, but I did like how it seemed they faded up around 1:18. Increase 1:05's levels so the loudness change isn't AS drastic, but it's not a bad concept, like I mentioned for the first instance.

Very nice improvisation over the source tune from 1:48-2:17. 2:46's vocals had a good soulful delivery, though the sour note at 3:08 was a weak point, even though it ultimately resolved with the follow-up.

Still not a fan of the Bastion cameo at 3:17, though the vocals stood out better, the added "Nothing" background vocals brought another layer to it and the instrumentation and performances were all tight. Going forward, everything else sounded brighter and stronger than the previous version for a nice finish as the development in the arrangement continued.

Like SGX's Beatmania mix "Kick Your A", this was a great example of using the source material more as background accompaniment (while still being overt & prominent) while seamlessly adding his own original composition ideas in the foreground. I'd really love for tweaks to the overly quiet parts at :15 & 1:05 just so that this is firing on all cylinders, but I'm not going to make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Good job raising this up, Brandon!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I'm loving this. My criticisms have been addressed, but there's one fairly sizable problem, and that's the vocal. In general I think it could be a little louder, a little less honky (translation, a touch less 700-1500Hz) but the real problem is you need a de-esser like right now, like it's going to save your damn life. Check out 1:07, 1:16, 1:22, 1:45, etc. Holy moly. De Ess that shiz. Once you do that you're good to go.

If I'm being picky, I'd say the kick is too loud, at least the attack is. But that's not going to be a dealbreaker. De-ess the vocal and you're golden.

NO

• 3 months later...

Sweet bro, nice fixes! Definitely has a very emotional delivery here, and your performances are pretty strong here. I'd say it's one of your stronger vocal performances overall, so nice work there as well!

I can hear the issues the guys bring up, but I think overall they are very minor in the long run, and while getting a fix up would be nice, I don't feel it warrants a no.

Nice work!

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very cool track, Brandon. It's not far outside your wheelhouse, but you've crafted a very wistful track out of your standard instrumentation and singing. It's a quick-moving six minutes. Great use of flute and theremin. I think this is a pass, but I thought there was room for improvement.

The vocal threatens to get drowned out at many points, especially when the lead acoustic guitar is in play. In general, I think you should have pushed the lead and backing acoustic guitars back some; they sound too far forward. In those moments, you had different parts fighting for attention. Honestly, the essing didn't bother me much, but it's possible you pushed that range in order to get the vocal to show up when really you needed to cut other things. Keep it in mind for next time.

YES