*NO* Ys 6 'A False Respite'

djpretzel

email sub file Ys_The_Ark_of_Napishtim_A_False_Respite_OC_ReMix.mp3

ReMixer name: Paragon

Email address: jparagons@gmail.com

This is a remix of "Quatera Woods" from Ys: The Ark of Napishtim for the PS2 (and/or the PC, I believe). It's a vaguely orchestral rock version with live guitars and bass, piano played live on a Yamaha s08, and a good helping of sequenced drums/flutes/violins/some other stuff.

The piano solo shares a lot of ideas with the guitar solo, mainly because I was rushing to finish this in time for the January 2006 Dwelling of Duels, and the guitar solo was fresh in my mind as I wrote the piano solo. I liked the result enough to not even try changing the piano solo.

Just over 4 minutes long, although according to winamp it's 5:39. . .probably because of Cool Edit Pro's odd VBR encoding thingy.

The title "A False Respite" chosen because Quatera Woods is a very peaceful, happy island paradise-type place (the first enemy you meet is this cute little squirrel/fox thing that attacks by playfully hopping at you), but the protagonist is stranded there and it's only the beginning of his adventure. dun dun DUN!!!

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of the instruments are particularly dry and thin. the guitar for instance.

the guitar performance is also hampered by the fact that he often hits the notes late. makes the song sluggish.

the flute is also particularly dry. and flute without accompaniment=bad. violin w/o accompaniment=bad. thicken everything out.

NO

Ys VI THE ARK OF NAPISHTIM Original Sound Track - (105) "QUATERA WOODS"

Yeah, I thought this needed a lot more polish, James. Though you tried to change the feel/tone here, the arrangement wasn't particularly interpretive. Nonetheless, good idea slightly changing the order of the sections. I just feel there was more you could have done to really personalize the arrangement approach, but admittedly a lot of that issue was also a result of the instrumentation being handled poorly.

Right off the bat, the texture was sparse and thin. The production was pretty rough; things didn't sound clear/clean enough and stuff that could have helped the texture, like the violin samples, sounded obscured.

The guitar playing was definitely not fluid at all unfortunately, leading to Vig's comment on how you're hitting your notes late. It's made the performance very rigid and plodding.

Weak section at :52 with that robotic flute synth. The performance on it sounds really rigid as well, all the more glaring with barely anything to draw attention away from it. The area from 1:57-2:16 was REALLY empty thanks to those brief 'n sparse flute & violin solos.

Better performance with the guitar in the forefront from 3:00-3:36, but still not fluid enough in the performance, even the meedley-mee stuff. That's simply a matter of practice and honing your technique.

Everything here from the flute, the violins, and the piano sounded very mechanical, so you're gonna have to work on learning how to humanize the sounds. Especially listening to something like the strings in the original, your string work simply sounded inferior.

Certainly don't mean to sound discouraging, but I'd likely call this a done deal and simply apply the general suggestions given to future works. Hope to hear more from you here soon though.

NO

a lot of the instruments are particularly dry and thin. the guitar for instance.

the guitar performance is also hampered by the fact that he often hits the notes late. makes the song sluggish.

the flute is also particularly dry. and flute without accompaniment=bad. violin w/o accompaniment=bad. thicken everything out.

NO

Yeah I gotta agree. Leads sound dry, especially that flute. It sounds terrible when its soloing. No kind of humanization involved at all; pretty poor sequencing. Doubling it with the weak-attack strings is also a no-no.

Guitar playing isn't bad, but this whole thing needs more stuff going on in the back. Some strong harmonic support.

NO