Enhancing MIDI

Yeh, GM is definitely still fairly popular (NI Bandstand and EWQL Collosus come to mind as some of the higher-quality GM based sample players), but I don't see a lot of support for the newer GM2 format (at least in software, I guess - I'm not too knowledgable about hardware support). You are probably right about XG (I was thinking about the now somewhat discontinued softsynth series), though I don't know if any other manufactures use the spec outside of Yamaha.

Well what if we can say that GM2 is actually the "enhanced" GM MIDI standard. XG has some triggers and MIDI CC that GM doesn't use, GM2 is the "upgraded GM" system in terms of banks...

So you can say, that those formats are not dead. MIDI won't die that soon, as it is implemented in hardware, software (Instruments and Plugins).

"Bandstand" is a GM based sampleplayer, true that (it's sorted as if it was a GM standardised instrument), but EWQL Collossus sure isn't sorted in GM standard patchwise. Also... XG synths weren't software snyths only. Before the Motiv series came out, the XG Series was (and still is) the flagship of Yamaha. */me goes hugging his MU-15 and DB50XG Wavetable*

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're not talking about sounds, but a control language. Sure enhancing would be a nice thing to do, having some more control here and there (or depth).

But... MIDI worked for over 20 years good and fine. Even with extensive sample packs, you still don't use every single function - not to mention that "SYS-EX" can be additionally used too - if you know how to do it (which only counts to cracks, and that means around 5-10% of the soundengineers).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's complicated to "use" enhanced MIDI - inventing it is another thing. Same counts to "for what do I really need the enhancements?". For normal stuff that we use everyday, there's no need for enhancements. At least in my opinion.