*NO* Chrono Trigger 'The Thousand-Year Forest'

DragonAvenger

Hey there! I'm Justin, and I'll be submitting a remix of one of my favorite Chrono trigger songs. Hope you all enjoy!

Contact Info:

Remixer name: Typhlix

Email:

Submission Info:

Game arranged: Chrono Trigger

Arrangement name: "The Thousand Year Forest"

Song arranged: Secret Of The Forest

Additional Comments: This is my attempt to capture the dark and mystical beauty of Chrono Trigger through remixing one of my favorite compositions in the game.

Thanks for reviewing this!

LT EDIT (7/30): Looks like a name/link change since the submission:

------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzedahyjXE

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 months later...

I love the piece in a vacuum, and it's not like there's 0 interpretation, but there didn't feel like there was enough beyond the genre adaptation. Besides some slight rhythmic changes and interplay from 2:22-3:11, everything was straightforward. I dig it, but IMO we also need a further level of interpretation than what's here.

The tempo's different, it has a more ambient sound to the piano, and the overall instrumentation is different, but there's little melodic interpretation, and some but not enough overall personalization in this arrangement.

I'm willing to hear out the case for this being interpretive enough, but it's not quite there for me, despite being a sweet listen. With some further evolution in this arrangement that was less by the numbers, I could get behind this.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed with Larry on this one. I love that 5-second opening, btw. Just that there shows me that you can add some sweet parts to this mix and make an awesome interpretation. I'm loathe to call this an 'add drums to the original melody', because that's not really what it is, but at times it does have that feeling, which is a shame. Please look this one over again and see if you can add a little to make this one unique; I'd love to see this front page!

NO (resubmit)

No, I'm Justin and this is one of my favorite chrono trigger tracks. :tomatoface:

Yeah, this is definitely a cool track to listen to. This OST really lends itself well to the dnb style (I've heard another dnb mix of the same piece, but I don't think it ever got on the site). However, this would need quite a bit more interpretation/personalization for the front page.

It could be these headphones I'm having to use (regular ones broke AGAIN) but it also felt like the beat starts drowning out the piano, so watch your mixing levels. Also, I thought the piano could use a bit more variation on velocities or note writing on the repeated phrases.

At the core, though, work on the arrangement and be sure to bring it back.

NO resubmit, please