*NO* Star Ocean: Second Story 'The 10 Wise Men Have Landed'

djpretzel

email sub file Star Ocean The Second Story The Ten Wise Men Have Landed OC Remix.mp3

ReMixer Name: T41N7

Email: andrewl221@bellsouth.net

I am websiteless :(

I am on the forums as T41N7, but I think I accidentally deleted my conformation email and I don't know what my user id is. heh... sry 'bout that. I'll have figured it out by my next submission.

Song Info-

Star Ocean The Second Story by Enix for PlayStation The Ten Wise Men, Composed by Motoi Sakuraba

This is probably one of my favorite of my remixes (hence the fact it is the first one I am submitting), although it is also one of my first remixes. I always liked the simplicity mixed with the cool beat, and after a while decided to go back and make some changes on it using my new-found abilities with my program. This being probably the third or fourth song I made, I didn't know how to do things like controlling the track pan and things like that. That's why I just now (almost a year after I made the remix) decided to go back and fix up the song a bit. I made the song on my laptop, so I only ever heard it through crappy iBook G4 speakers and headphones; then I put it on my new desktop and heard the song through real speakers and with a subwoofer. Note: DO NOT turn the bass on full. Please. When you hear it, you'll know what I mean. If you have iPod headphones, you need not to fear.

I think it seemed worse than it really was for me because I had heard the song a hundred times and never heard it with any real bass.

Thanks

-T41N7

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/StarOceanSS_psf.rar - 225 "Mighty Blow"

I have to say, listing an entirely wrong source tune in the submission letter is annoying. Just means I had to sift through most of the soundtrack to find the right original. As you can see, it's pretty far down the list.

Anyway forgetting all that, the track opened with an arrangement of the source's chorus as the intro before going into the source melody at :12. As for the rest of the arrangement, I can sum it up generally.

There's really not much complexity in the construction of the track. While the synths and effects you used were decent enough to not make the track seem completely empty, there were usually not more than 1-3 different sounds in play during the whole thing, usually just a lone synth line plus some beats. Basically nothing more to the arrangement than 4+ minutes of repeating the melody and chorus of the original with different synths and throwing in different beat patterns & other random sounds.

There loads of variety on that level, but none in terms of the arrangement. Plus, there's not really much to be praised regarding all of the varying sound choices when there's really no rhyme or reason behind it all. Those super clippy drums from 3:23-3:43 definitely didn't wind down the track in a good way. You forgot the substance and texture amidst fucking around with as many sounds as you possibly could.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I can only imagine the nightmare of searching through that rather large soundtrack for the source. Kudos to Larry.

This piece seriously lacks cohesion, much like the original ironically. But everything in this piece seems to be doing it's own thing. The percussion pounds along, the flutey synth flutters around and the other synth just bounces along in the background. Where's the actual mixing of these things? You need to make the instruments work together. Not just play around with sounds and panning until you have Dr. Who's crazy lab music theme.

On a production level. The sounds you have going in some parts of the mix are pretty good by themselves. If you could figure out how to mix them into a mix properly, you might have some good sounds to go with some day. But for now, this isn't a remix, so much as a lot of crazy experimenting.

Bass drum after 3:30 = way over the top. Tone that shit down, nobody likes a clipping bass drum.

NO