- Name: PhantomSnake

- Email address: phantomsnake@gmail.com

- Userid: 28984

Toxic Sonic

remix of Sonic Spinball - Toxic Caves

ReMix:

Original:

Hey again,

You may remember I submitted a Xenogears remix a few months ago called Experiment with Sea and Fire. It was rejected, though a couple of judges suggested a resub. Well, I had intended to fix that piece up, but instead I found myself moving on to new stuff.

I'm back for my second attempt with a brand new remix. This one's from Sonic Spinball. I tried to go for jazz, and I think I succeeded to some extent.

Enjoy,

PhantomSnake

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sonicspn_fixed.rar - "Toxic Caves"

Pretty good jazzy-type stuff. The arrangement is pretty cool like djp mentioned, but some of the samples are fairly weak, or at least not used to their best. The drumming sounds fairly good, and the sequenced piano performance was definitely above average though it needs to sound more fluid.

The overly synthetic sax sample was a weak link here. The sound of it has no body to it. Same with your bass. There's gotta be better free stuff available. If you can make the piano more fluid for some sections (e.g. :15-:30, where it sound really mechanical), and get the sax and bass sounding good, this would be in much better shape. Nice work so far.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 1 month later...

pretty much echoing the sentiments of LT and djp...

good arrangement, but the sequencing is all VERY mechanical.

good piano sample and some decent voicings

but the samples are all pretty fake and dry sounding. try messing with the velocities in the sequencing to make this sound more human, cuz it gets painfully robotic at parts.

this could be really good.

NO