*NO* Revenge of Shinobi 'Shinobi Temple'

djpretzel

First of all please read our guidelines on submissions: http://www.ocremix.org/about/?artid=4

Only submit 1 mix at a time please.

This is the first stage theme.

Great to see a shinobi mix as this has been one of my favorite soundtracks in the last 16 years, but it's sad to see this is too conservative and not up to the bar at this point. There is some arrangement value here, but it is minimal. Most of the mix follows the structure of the original much too closely. There are a few sections and new transitional material added here and there that bring refreshing change ups. There's ending parts also add a new take, albeit conservative new direction to the mix.

Most of the additions here are in the percussive side of things. I do like all the unique percussion parts of the mix. The castanets, the asian percussion all a nice touch.

Production is very lacking and plain though. Everything sounds muffled and lo-fi. I'm not sure what you did here, were they like this to begin with or did you over eq your mix? To me sounds like the latter or a combination of both, but regardless, the result is very eh. This needs to be addressed in a major way.

I don't think this is a straight out rip, as there's new material in the middle and ending (conservative as they are). This really needs an overhaul though in the arrangement department. Change your rhythms, change the structure, expand the melody or harmony more. Something to evolve the mix. I also think this needs some dynamic shifts, both in the volume and in the rhythm - some form of evolution. Then the production issues, big as they are, are secondary but important as well. In addition, maybe in the middle you could capitalize on all the percussive work you've done here and do a middle percussion break section and heighten, evolve your percussion, and build on that with more layers of exotic percussion? It's an idea to consider.

I think you have a good framework to continue on working on this. It has potential. If you do decide to resubmit this, please use our OCR WIP/Completed to get more feedback before submitting. If you want to resubmit this mix, after careful work and polish made, you can pm one of our judges and we would post it directly to the panel for you without wait time.

While I don't think this is NO Override material per se, as there are some additions here, it is still a close call in that regard, and I don't think you will get further input for this mix that will be different from my judgement. NO Override

http://www.zophar.net/gym/rshinobi.rar - "The Shinobi"

I'm basically just chiming in to echo Gray's comments. Though I can see why it wasn't exactly a straight NO Override, you can basically tell this was a rip that was then given some legitimate reworking in the attempt to change it up enough, so I'll verify the N.O.

But yeah, I thought the percussion was pretty admirable, but work on changing the structure more and really giving that an overhaul; F around with the tempo, the melody, anything to more dramatically and overtly change the feel.

The new instrumentation and the original writing on top of the source tune were good ideas, but I'd argue that if you ever wanted to resubmit this, it would require a lot more effort given to reworking the actual structure of the source tune.