*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Long Lost Sister'

djpretzel

Link didn't work but it's the only CT mix on the site, I'm guessing (verification appreciated) - djp

On Thursday, February 2, 2006, Steve Pordon wrote:

> Someone once said there are too many Schala's theme remixes. MUA HA HA

> HA HA!

> This actually started out as a joke but I ended up liking my progress

> and finished it. This is the 6th revision to the mix, and the

> postproduction seems to hold up well in my car as well as on

> headphones and new computer speakers (hence the double-checking). I

> used FL Studio 5.0.1 with a BFD drum kit, several synths, and Adobe

> Audition 1.5.

> Various infos:

> Steve Pordon

> music@neutronstar.org

> http://www.neutronstar.org

> Chrono Trigger

> Schala's Theme

Yeah, I'm guessing a link would be nice, too:

-steve

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Sara's Theme" (ct-3-06.spc)

Yeah, Schala's theme mix, this should be the right one. Interesting opening; drums sounded pretty damn thick, maybe a little overbearing, but nothing bad; interesting synths. Source melody was introduced at :21; good alteration of the rhythm there.

String synths brought in from :49-1:03 didn't really have a pleasing tone to them; just sounded shrill/grating. Something less piercing would probably work better.

Cooler stuff going on here after 1:03, though the track was a bit loud and didn't really have any direction or focus on arranging Schala for quite a while, due to the synths and beats going over the top of the liberally arranged melody. Maybe have something where the warbling-type synth and beats go over the top of the arranged melody just from 1:03-1:32, then pull the volume that stuff back and focus on the Schala arrangement from 1:32-2:00 to create direction and contrast. The arranged Schala progression you had going on in the back was also too repetitive and needed to go somewhere new sooner. Right now you have 1:03-2:00 meandering around for too long without much direction or contrast.

2:22 started taking things home, but I wasn't quite feeling the lead synth's tone from 2:22-2:36. Back to those shrill string synths from 2:36-2:50 (though I liked some of the modulation or whatever you have going on there for the last few seconds of that.

The foundation here is pretty sweet; I particularly thought the drumwork was complex and well-written, with nice realistic sounds. I felt like there needs to be more tinkering with sound balance, the tone of some of the synths, and working in more overt and varied arrangement of the Schala them mid-way through to not let things potentially drag out. Nice stuff so far, Steve, definitely keep at it on this one.

NO (rework/resubmit)

this is really good. it had my head bobbing.

your drum programming is exceptional. probably the most melodic drum programming i've heard in a game music remix. seriously. it put me in mind of my favorite drummer of all time, william goldsmith of sunny day real estate.

that being said, this mix still needs some work.

the synths get repetitive, and I could use a bit more exploration of the source material (i.e. the original melody). maybe if you added some different chord progressions or a bridge this would be more harmonically interesting.

the mixing sounds muddy to me.

i rarely like a submission so much that i hang onto it, but i'm a sucker for grooves. this grooves hard. that doesn't mean it's right for OCR though.

NO RESUBMIT (please)