Chrono cross leaving the body remix.

Esperado

I like the laid back atmosphere this has going, that lead at 22 seconds ish is very loud and piercing, it sounds a little too far to the left and definitely needs to be bought down as well as maybe cutting some of the more extreme high frequencies (anything from 10khz is a good place to start).

I think your intro sounds fine, it sets the piece of to a fairly laid back start, which it sounds like what you had in mind. Sounds like you could maybe include some harsher leads towards the end of your main sections, but as I said before I really like the lounge kind of feel you've started out on. I'll be interested to hear where this goes!

im still really unsatisfied with the intro sounds. right at 45 is when i think the song really gets groovy. i also managed to break the lead sound at 22. its being gated , but for some odd reason, it only plays properly 50% of the time, so i might have to tweak some things. ill keep you posted whenever i get on fixing this up!

I think if you doubled the amount of time you spend on that intro before the groove and gradually fade into it that should serve you better. Use some LP filters to knock off some highs to make it cloudier and distant then when the groove hits go full on for clarity.

Reverse cymbal never hurt either. Just keep it quiet so people don't realize they are listening to a cliche. :)

This sounds like Big Beat/Chillout. Getting

I'm pretty sure the intro can be fixed. The intro synth lead is too loud, and the pseudo-granular sound is better suited somewhere further along the remix as an occasional cymbal substitute. The intro itself is pretty sparse instrumentally, and some rich pads would serve it nicely. I agree with Gar that it should be twice as long so you can expand your ideas some more.

The drums need work, but that can be addressed later. For now, there's too much reverb on at least the snare, but I'm not sure if it's a loop you're using or just one drum pattern, so it could also be on your kick and hi hats.

The thin 0:20-0:45 bells are way too bright and just hurt my ears. Please change them.

At 0:45, I can barely hear the bass or much else, and when the bells come in, it still hurts. :|

It could be chill, keep it up. :)

:20 that bell sound has got to go. It's wicked grating. Maybe try a glockenspiel sample layered with a simple synth sound.

:45 YES! that is so much better. That whole whole groove, feel, and balance is what you should focus on.

Initial intro is pretty cool. Could work as a breakdown. My biggest beef is arrangement wise. First 45 seconds sounds like a completely different song.

seems like my issue( or one of the many as a newb) is my arranging skills. my songs always seem to either have nice intros, or nice midsections. lately it seems that my intros are really weak and dont do a good job of hooking you in.

Ill definitely try to update this with the advice if i can though, possibly for the special prc round for which i can enter it.

my copy of ableton broke though, so no guarantees. soooo hoping that my old project files will work if i can get it up and running again.

An arranging tip that really helps me:

Find your #1 most important element in the song. Melody, Bass line, Drum loop/sequence; and then build your entire song around that. It will help make it feel significantly more cohesive.

I normally compose multiple sections. I don't use all of them; only the ones that fit the arrangement and overall feel of the track.

good to know. ill try to keep that in mind! Ive heard people divide songs into sections too, like passages, and then make variations on those to lengthen things up.

as for this mix. sad to say that theres a 90% chance its lost to the void. much to my great dismay , it overwrote all of the folders ableton uses when in reinstalled and i hadnt backed things up since before this mix was made. i remember a few of the sound design bits though for the groovy section, so i *might* be able to recreate this beast from memory and make it better.

i hope i didnt lose my spirit tracks remix ... everyone seemed excited for that one.

good to know. ill try to keep that in mind! Ive heard people divide songs into sections too, like passages, and then make variations on those to lengthen things up.

as for this mix. sad to say that theres a 90% chance its lost to the void. much to my great dismay , it overwrote all of the folders ableton uses when in reinstalled and i hadnt backed things up since before this mix was made. i remember a few of the sound design bits though for the groovy section, so i *might* be able to recreate this beast from memory and make it better.

i hope i didnt lose my spirit tracks remix ... everyone seemed excited for that one.

Edit: just kidding. fixed it. man, that was a hell of a scare.