Contact info:

ReMixer name: Noisebringer

E-Mail:

UserID: 51175

Submission info:

Name of game: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Name of original song: Midna's Lament

Name of Remix: Midnight Dreams

Additional info: This is probably my favourite song in Twilight Princess, so i decided to remix it since it had been stuck in my head for about a week or so.

And this is the result.

-----------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The piano and bowed strings having such a mechanical sound to them was definitely a weak link; it's not a bad sample, but the fakeness of the timing/sequencing stands out.

Switch over to the electronic base at :56 was OK. It was good the piano dropped out at 1:19, but it's not expressive enough with that kind of rigid sound. The beats up to 2:04 were decent, but lacked depth and energy to the sound, even though the pattern itself was good; needs some oomph.

That's pretty much how I feel about this the whole way through. The arrangement's respectable, but the instrumentation lacks richness the whole way through. It's like hearing a good sketch/mock-up version of a composition where all the meat isn't on the bones; everything sounds flatter and less expressive than it should as far as conveying the energy inherent in the arrangement.

Another J can articulate it better than I can, but to me this needs more polish and more pronounced dynamics. But it's a good start.

NO

• 1 month later...

Yeah that piano is very mechanical. Every note sounds exactly the same velocity, which you just can't away with even with the best samples.

So it sounds like you're headed in the Pendulum direction. This needs to sound a lot bigger. The synths are all quite tame and mono when everything drops. I can see what Larry means when he says it sounds like a sketch/mockup of an idea. The synth programming/modulation/mixing are all just not developed enough to pull off the style. This isn't really my genre but hopefully someone else might have a bit more advice.

NO

As a big drum 'n' bass fan, I'm really liking the concept and ideas here.

So yeah, already mentioned, but that piano is very rigidly sequenced. Strings could use more humanization as well.

The percussive hits at the beginning were actually distracting to me because they're really bright without much low end presence - they're actually counter-intuitive as is I think.

For the urgency in the writing, the drums and synths actually felt pretty low energy. The snare specifically sounds like a lot of the body of the sound has been filtered out. Personally, when I'm going for a big dnb sound, I actually boost the mid-range on the snare (see my Cave Story mix for reference if you'd like).

Good start, just gotta bring the energy in the drums and synths! I really want to see this one come back.

NO resubmit, please