Plants Vs. Zombies - 'There's a Zomboss On My Roof' by Timaeus & Chimpazilla [Ultimate Battle]

timaeus222

My opinion:

Here's the EQ I used on "My Choice", which wasn't a metal song, but I'd probably use the same type of EQ for a metal song. This isn't for people to copy, it's just a guideline because honestly all bass sounds are going to be different, and from my understanding of Shreddage Bass you probably won't be able to EQ it exactly like a real, organic bass anyway. But this is a good place to start.

As for the guitars, do you have some kind of high pass on them? They're missing low mids. Try boosting around 170Hz for fullness. Don't do it a lot, because that will lead directly to mud, or being TOO bassy. Just enough to give them body. You can slope off the low shelf around 100hz also, instead of high passing, if you have uncontrolled rumble down there for whatever reason. (Edit: I'm talking like a -2db slope off in the low shelf, not a cliff!)

In conclusion, are you focusing on the metal, or on the "drum and bass"? At the moment it feels like you could put a better emphasis on the metal (thus my guitar suggestions concerning giving them more lows)

As stated in the OP, I actually used Spectrasonic Trilian's "Hardcore Thick Bass" multi, so it's going to be different and heavier. More low-end refined out of the box, as well.

I don't have a high pass on the guitars to a significant extent. I think the crossover frequency I put was around 40 or 30Hz or something, simply to save headroom, nothing more than that. I do some meticulous notching, but almost never scoop significantly other than in the mids (which I fixed, IMO, as I did notice at one point that I over-scooped there). Some spots that I notched might have been in the low-mids, but I can't check right now. If I did that, it was to let the bass grit come through.

I'm putting the most emphasis on refined bass, actually, but probably a bit more metal than drum & bass.

Actually, I've never used a bass guitar as the bass in a DnB-focused track. Synthetic bass (usually a Reese derivation of some sort) is my go-to when the drums are as synthetic as the ones you've got going here. Something like
is probably as good an example as any.

I do have a Reese on hand, but I'm not sure if I can really fit that in while keeping in a good portion of the guitar chugging grit. I might give that a shot later when I'm actually home, but I doubt it can come through cleanly separated.

Other info:

I'm only using a bass guitar while I'm using a rhythm guitar. Otherwise it's a "synth" bass (a synthetic physical model-esque vintage bass) that may sound like one, but isn't one.

Edited by timaeus222

Really liking the track. Intro is great.

For some tips on bass watc this video startng around 7:28:

Kick - Boost attack transient.

Bass - Add some pleasant harmonic distortion.

Will really help separate them in a mix. Just used that on a track of mine worked wonders. Saw some video for this technique somewhere but can't remember where.

1:44 - This section becomes monotonous after awhile. Just mix up the ambient textures a bit and that should add the right amount of spice.

2:23 - Build up back up from this section needs to be stronger.

Overall great track, alot of the sound mesh very well together.

Really liking the track. Intro is great.

For some tips on bass watc this video startng around 7:28:

Kick - Boost attack transient.

Bass - Add some pleasant harmonic distortion.

Will really help separate them in a mix. Just used that on a track of mine worked wonders. Saw some video for this technique somewhere but can't remember where.

1:44 - This section becomes monotonous after awhile. Just mix up the ambient textures a bit and that should add the right amount of spice.

2:23 - Build up back up from this section needs to be stronger.

Overall great track, alot of the sound mesh very well together.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to get from the video. I really just got "boost the crap out of things and take out what you don't want." :P

I'll keep those two sections in mind, 1:44 and 2:23. Maybe I'll do some sort of glitching on the background FX? I usually just do that instinctively.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to get from the video. I really just got "boost the crap out of things and take out what you don't want." :P

I'll keep those two sections in mind, 1:44 and 2:23. Maybe I'll do some sort of glitching on the background FX? I usually just do that instinctively.

I agree the vidja is too long, but even I skipped through and saw something interesting about gain staging... something I already do, but eh. :-)

• 1 month later...