*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Flying Battery Zone Act 1+2 (noeko Mix)'

Liontamer

Hi. This is Kayla Richardson, also known as dJ~noeko, or if you prefer, just noeko. I'm submitting this remix because I'm rather proud of it and I think the remixing community would appreciate it. I am, due to computer related issues, unable to properly format MP3s for submission. However, the soundcloud link provided contains a downloadable file's whose quality is 16bit wav.

The remix is from the Sega Genesis game Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and the remixed tracks are Flying Battery Zone Acts 1 and 2, with a brief interlude of the Sonic 3 Invincibility theme.

The full title of the remix being "SEGA - Flying Battery Zone Act 1+2 (noeko remix ft samplingmasters jk)"

You can both listen to and download the remix here:

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFvDTvUyW4

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

It's not gonna light the world on fire with complexity or innovation, but this was a pretty solid cover with a solid amount of personalized ear candy. The sampling was OK, although 3:34-3:46 seemed pretty pointless; it did allow for some dynamic contrast. I liked how each iteration of the verse had different things going on with the surrounding instrumentation.

That said, the development of the actual melodic part of arrangement (namely the source chorus) was just the same all the time -- :55-1:37, 1:51-2:04, 2:33-3:01 (cool effects here though), 3:05-3:34, 3:47-4:40 -- which pulled this down when it comes to the level of interpretation and development.

Some sort of substantial variation in the chorus treatment would be great; the surrounding instrumentation never being the same is good, but the chorus almost always sounds the same. Same lead, same key, no rhythmic variation, no grace notes, no other personalization. Develop that aspect a bit more to put this solidly over the top. What's here is a great base.

NO (resubmit)

Arg, this is a really tricky one because this does a lot of things well but the lack of theme development/building is really grating once you've noticed it. Just keeps coming back to the same theme in the same presentation.

Like if you isolated 4:15 to 4:40 and asked to guess where it was in a track, I would say right at the start in order for it to be developed. I definitely wouldn't say its the capitulation of a theme's development throughout the track. Arguably it could be seen as a wind down but I'm not sure.

To me, the samples at 3:00, 3:34 and 4:40 are just plain distracting and not what we're looking for at all. To me they draw attention to the distinct lack of new ideas introduced through the track.

I'm not trying to be negative here, it just sounds like you have the skills to make the arrangement much more worthwhile. I've got no problems with the production here, but you can definitely take this further on the arrangement side.

NO, but i want to hear this go further.

Yeah, this could definitely use more development beyond the ideas already here. Having a better overall direction for the piece so that it logically progresses instead of rehashing the same ideas with a few synths or minor changes thrown in would really help.

Concept is very cool and this is firing on most production cylinders. Warning, minor nitpicky point: sometimes it comes off as a bit empty on some of the mid range frequencies at parts of the track (3:11 - 3:38 improved in this regard though). Maybe on more element (a pad or something) to fill out the soundscape in other parts would help in this regard (ex. 1:00-1:32, 1:55-2:08, etc).

Synth choices & uses were definitely a positive here as well.

Yeah, gonna agree that the vocal/game samples in general didn't feel like they added much to the track. Up to you whether or not you want to keep them. Great start though, this shouldn't been too hard to get over the bar.

NO resubmit, please