*NO* Skitchin' 'Skate Lark'

Liontamer

Remixer Name : Underphil

E-Mail :

User : 51229

Game Name : Skitchin'

Arrangement Name : Skate Lark

Name Of Ind. Songs : Title Track, Cheese Grater, Let's Plow, Psycho Deep Fry, Spicy Placenta

Additional : Original composer is Jeff Van Dyck. Game was only on Sega Genesis/Megadrive and was released in 1994.

Soundtrack :

My Comments :

I'd always wanted to turn this soundtrack into a full hard rock production from when I first played the game. 19 years later, I've finally got round to it. I felt it would work perfectly as a heavy 'full band track' and the synth lines deserved to be turned into fully fledged solos. The mix was made entirely in the box using a mixture of Guitar Rig & Amplitube for the guitars and bass and Superior Drummer for the drum lines. I experimentsed with other virtual instruments but preferred the raw sound of just guitar, bass & drums. Rather than make it too long and choppy, I decided to pick my five favourite tracks for the 'medley'.

Link to MP3 :

---------------------------------

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=54

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a pretty cool medley cover, but it was a pretty by-the-numbers rock cover of a soundtrack already in this genre. Beyond the sound upgrade, there wasn't enough in place (e.g. creative new part-writing, rhythmic, tempo or instrumentation differences) that personalized this as a unique interpretation of Skitchin' music.

Obviously, it was made to hold fast to the feel of the originals, and it's a sweet listen. It's an awesome cover, but I think it falls outside the interpretive scope we're looking for. The original music had energy, but was pretty texturally simple. That's basically what was here, with better sounds; not much else was there to differentiate it from the originals.

Some additional writing ideas and personalization could get a solid performance like this through as a more interpretive, personalized arrangement approach. We're actually pretty inviting of cover-ish songs, Phil, but that more interpretive angle also has to be present.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Larry has this down solidly. Really fun listen, and I enjoyed the cover as a whole, but this doesn't have enough interpretation and personalization for OCR. I'd love to hear you fix this one up, but I suspect that you're happy with this one as-is. If you work on something in the future with some more of your own touch in it definitely send it in, though!

Also, Spicy Placenta is a track name? Really? :/

NO