Big Beat Symphony of Night ReMix

Esperado

I think its Big Beat? Anyways, here you go! its a remix of Crystal Tear Drops from Symphonie of the Night. I had alot of fun with this, so im looking to see what i could do to fix it up. the drums need variation, and i think i should do something with the intro to fill in the space between sounds, it still feels a bit sparse to me. It also doesnt have an ending yet.

remix: https://soundcloud.com/jesse-mitchell-3/crystal-tears-remix-wip

source:

I think the beat needs to be bigger/heavier to be qualified as cinematic big beat =p Regardless I thought it's pretty decent composition wise, albeit quite conservative for OCR standards I'd assume (not a bad thing in itself though :D).

However, on the production side, there's one issue that needs addressing: the muddyness :(. Unless my speakers and headphones are outta funk, there is a lot of mud in the medium to low frequencies - so you may want to pull down the lower frequencies of your pads, lead and support melodies - however, for the bass you'll want to reduce the medium to high frequencies - and voila you'll have a clean mix.

Idk which Digital Audio Workstation you're running so I'm unsure of how 2 go about this, but just google EQ frequencies, or parametric EQ for your specific DAW and there should be a built-in vst or something of the like for that purpose.

I hope this helps! =D

Edited by HoboKa
wrong facto

HoboKa, He's using Ableton Live.

At this tempo, I'd call this downtempo. Anyways, the bass is pretty basic. It's not creating any mud by itself as it's practically the only low end instrument, but it's not distinct enough to really be a solid bass sound. The majority of its tone is below 80Hz, so it's not exactly phat. Layer it if you can with some sort of thicker bass with more bite to its tone, and it would sound more satisfying, at least to me.

Some leads are definitely too reverby, such as 1:15 and 1:36. It's fine that they're distant if this is intended to sound like ambient downtempo, but the notes need to be more distinct either way. The main muddiness issue comes into play from the reverb on the E. Piano. The low cut is too low, so there is unnecessary low end ambience clashing a bit with the bass.

2:29 though is where the most mud actually comes in; when the pad is there, the low mids really do have lots of muddiness.

HoboKa, He's using Ableton Live.

At this tempo, I'd call this downtempo. Anyways, the bass is pretty basic. It's not creating any mud by itself as it's practically the only low end instrument, but it's not distinct enough to really be a solid bass sound. The majority of its tone is below 80Hz, so it's not exactly phat. Layer it if you can with some sort of thicker bass with more bite to its tone, and it would sound more satisfying, at least to me.

Some leads are definitely too reverby, such as 1:15 and 1:36. It's fine that they're distant if this is intended to sound like ambient downtempo, but the notes need to be more distinct either way. The main muddiness issue comes into play from the reverb on the E. Piano. The low cut is too low, so there is unnecessary low end ambience clashing a bit with the bass.

2:29 though is where the most mud actually comes in; when the pad is there, the low mids really do have lots of muddiness.

Holy smokes. How'd you figure that out so quick Timmy? I gotta develop my critical ear more lol. Yeah, now that I heard it again, it seems that the 'verb is the main issue. Do what Timaes222 says :D

...also I was beginning to worry that my both my speakers and headphones were being derpy :tomatoface: but it's good 2 know that I knew something felt off at least...

I'd luv to see this remix getting posted one day Esperadooo - so I'd advise that you PM Rozovian or Willrock for a more in-depth review of your track...they'll set you on the right path to OCR-ness :nicework:

'K...I'm hitting the sack for now. I might give this track 1 more listen with a more in-depth review tomorrow. Also, looking forward to your participation in the MnP compo Esperado :) (if you chose to do so)

Edited by HoboKa

Holy smokes. How'd you figure that out so quick Timmy? I gotta develop my critical ear more lol. Yeah, now that I heard it again, it seems that the 'verb is the main issue. Do what Timaes222 says :D

...also I was beginning to worry that my both my speakers and headphones were being derpy :tomatoface: but it's good 2 know that I knew something felt off at least...

Just attention to detail man, and good headphones. And I looked at his profile for the Ableton Live info :-D

thanks for all the advice guys! ill get right on it! always feels good to see interest in a remix. one thing thats got me hung up, is arrangement. im not really sure what to do it with the rest of it. any tips on where to start? Ending a remix strong seems to be one of my bigger weaknesses.