*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Zeal Palace (Acoustic)'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Benjaipod

email address:

userid: 51950

Name of game: Chrono Trigger

Name of arrangement: Zeal Palace, Acoustic Arrangement

Name of individual song: Corridors of time

Additional information about game: SNES game, original composer: Yasunori Mitsuda

Link to the original soundtrack

Comments: I recorded this like 3 months ago, I know, and i am aware that this is really close to the original ost, but i wanted to introduce a new concept for this song. I think that an acoustic version suits perfectly to the style. I used the latin percusion expansion of Ezdrummer, Cubase 5, some strings samples and 3 or 4 acoustic guitars, played by me. I don't know if this is what you are looking for in OCremix, but is worth the try.

---------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The soundscape sounded a bit too distant, IMO, but it wasn't anything that negatively affected the decision.

The arrangement, while conservative, did sound personalized via the layered performances. The introduction of the doubled lead at 2:05 was definitely needed late in the game to provide something fresh.

The auto-pilot percussion was the weak point here, sounding robotically timed and extremely repetitive compared to the guitar work. I may be an outlier, because I likes the track in a vacuum, and I like sufficiently personalized, stylish covers, but this felt like the drums being on auto-pilot left the track feeling lazy and a bit too underdeveloped. Again, I like the track, but why have the drums robotically repeat like that when you can subtly vary them throughout the piece and better compliment the guitar work?

It's a nice, smooth piece, Benjamín, but don't be complacent with the writing of such a critical background element. The percussion pattern isn't cool or creative enough to merit 3 minutes of non-stop repetition. But if the percussion writing becomes a bit more varied while still flowing well with the guitar performances, this could be a pass in my opinion.

NO (resubmit)

Agreed with Larry. Drums are boooring. You could do a lot more with them to keep things fresh throughout the piece.

I like the guitar performances, and I think you could easily add some variation by doing a middle section with some Chrono Trigger inspired improv before you double the lead. Think about it.

Pretty conservative, but not bad at all; really relaxing. Let's take another look and give it the push it needs.

NO, resub

A very conservative arrangement and repetitive percussion definitely keep this out of OCR standards contention, but it is a really nicely recorded cover. The performance was solid and though there was a bit more than average amount of distance in the soundscape, it felt very smooth because of it. The only part that felt personalized to me was when there was the small section of guitar harmony. It was really nice, and stuff like that should be all throughout the arrangement to make it more personalized.

I agree with the other judges about the hand percussion not being up to par, and it needs to be more varied and interesting throughout. You can really use it to emphasize some dynamics in the piece, and I encourage that to breathe more life into the song.

You have a lot of the basics down, but the arrangement needs to go further.

No, please resubmit