*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'I'm in an Ice Cave'

Liontamer

The arrangement's not bad, albeit a bit vanilla with some of the sound choices and definitely lacking in some of these flimsier textures. The layered bass kick/cymbals/clap at :45 wasn't horrible, but it was too loud while the overall texture felt sparse.

Sparseness was more of a problem from 1:29-2:03; again, that super basic beat was too loud and exposed while the soundscape wasn't full due to a lack of padding. I'd also cut the fat on that extended buildup, it didn't need to be that long.

Very nice original countermelodic synth writing at 2:04, followed by the softer synth at 2:13. I still think the melodic lead and bassier support writing were both too low compared to the supporting writing, but that wasn't a huge deal. The beat at 2:21 was a little meatier, but the kick was paper-thin.

It just seemed that during the sections where a beat was meant to bring an added level of energy, it wasn't successful. Hopefully another J can better articulate the issues I'm having with the beats not integrating well into the piece. If that aspect was fixed up, the arrangement would be much more cohesive.

The dynamic curve here was subtle, but had some good moments, but the weakness of the beats within otherwise sparse sections added up to a NO for now. It's got great potential though, Scott.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I am comfortable cosigning pretty much everything Larry has said here; he textures are sparse, and the beat is a bit too loud compared to how small sounding the low end is. There was some personalization, but im not really sure how I feel about how it ends up harmonically; there was some dissonance that I don't feel really resolved that well.

i think this does show promise though, and that it's a prime candidate for the WIP forums; get some additional feedback and polish it up!

No, please resubmit

Yeah, Larry did a good job laying down what needs to be said here. You've got a good start with your personalization, but the big issues overall are the sounds being weak and thin and not filling up the soundscape well, and the overall arrangement needs some trimming in the more repetitive/less interesting sections. Definitely hit up the wip boards for more feedback!

NO (resubmit)