*NO* Streets of Rage 'Glass Knuckles'

Liontamer

Interesting opening. The drum writing was OK, but sounded pretty empty; the pattern was also too repetitive during the verses. Meanwhile the guitar was also too dry and the performance was on the stiff side. Interesting usage of the bells to accent things; good stuff there. The piano sound and sequencing was solid as well.

In general, I'm feeling the arrangement, but both the percussion and electric guitar sounding dry and stiff ended up underming the personalized arrangement ideas a bit. It's not incompetantly performed or anything like that, but I'd argue that on balance it doesn't quite flow smoothly enough. You need some padding in the background to glue the elements together in the soundscape; in particular the guitar sounded stapled on top of everything instead of sitting within a larger soundscape.

I'm very familiar with this theme and how it's structured, and I'd also say that while this was a good cover with personalization, but there could be some additional dynamic contrast. There's definitely some subtle up and downs (much like the source), but the guitar lead combined with the drums during the verses ends up sounding too similar in the overall tone and energy after a while with no other instrumentation really evolving around it. You could take some of the other ideas you had outside of those sections and apply similar ideas during different iterations of the main melody and chorus. Promising stuff so far, Jeremy.

NO

Feeling about the same as Larry here. The arrangement overall has some solid points, but I feel like your production and approach aren't conveying your ideas as well as they could. The 1:20ish section feels pretty empty overall, and I'd definitely consider revamping that area to it doesn't halt the flow of your track as much. I also agree with Larry that some more in terms of the dynamics would definitely make the track have more impact. 2:20 feels a bit too cluttered as well. The bells playing the counter melody feel more like they are out of time and stick out because of it, and the other parts are fighting a bit for space.

Good start here, check out our WIP forums to get some more advice!

NO (resubmit)

Great crits here from my fellow J's. Definitely look at varying up your drum patterns in the non-break sections, as the pattern (esp hihat) is pretty repetative. Kick could use some more presence as I can hardly make it out in the louder sections.

2:23 is getting quite crowded with the additional elements on top of the existing parts. Overall, the track actually sounded a bit on the loud side to me, which may partially explain the lack of headroom at 2:23, but I think it's more the writing that's the issue. Guitars sounded a bit loud to me for the mix, so backing them off may help them gel more with the mix as Larry was alluding to.

You've got a solid base here, keep at it.

NO resubmit, please