Specific questions about sequencing software

I can only say it again, every question about sequencers, and even if it's specific about Cubase/Sonar, turns out into a "Get FL instead" crusade. So it's not me that starts this crap. I just give you an insight on "other tools" outside of FL.

And you know what, zirc? I don't give a crap about FL. I don't use it, cause I don't like it. It's unintuitive, it limits me. If you want to take it into your grave with you - so be it. But for gods sake - LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE WITH YOUR "Pro's use this and that" crap, if you don't even know what Pro's really use or what "standards" they have (or the AES declared). Just my 2c.

FFLeviatan has it's answers and if he has more Q's about Cubase, I'm glad to answer them. Do "your crusade" somewhere else, please.

So doesn't it just stand to reason (lolz) that most of the discussion around here would be oriented towards the cheaper audio solutions like FL or Reason?

The funny thing is that Reason isn't actually all that cheap.

And gentlemen, play nice. If the original poster has any more questions, then we can reply to them. If we're going to have a slugfest about sequencers, we can do it elsewhere.

3) Compy, you mentioned that FLStudio's wave editing capabilities were limited. In what way(s)?

First of all, it's Wave capabilities are fairly new. You can can apply some vocals to an arrangement, but I found it fairly intuitive (IMO). Others might tell you something else. But what I tried so far... Recording is not simple, arranging is difficult too.

I'm surprised to hear you saying this.

I also find recording in FL to be something of a pain in the ass, which is why I still use other programs for live recording, but I can't believe you just made an argument based on how new FL's wave handling capabilities are when you should know that doesn't make a difference, unless people are finding bugs. To my knowledge, based on the FL message boards, that just isn't the case. Broad statements like that only weaken your other, better arguments against FL's wave functionality.

I've used and been impressed with FL since version 1, because of its power and elegant interface (admittedly much more power since version 4 than older versions). Its price point is also incredibly low for what it does, but I used FL even when I was pirating it and could have used anything I wanted (in fact, I tried Reason and found it sucked for my needs). You know I started out on trackers (Scream Tracker 3, boyee!), so ease-of-use and learning curves aren't the reason I like FL.

In the end, it's going to come down to what people can afford to get unless you advocate piracy, which you don't. Many people, including me, feel that FL is the best you can get for a small amount of money. It might not be the world's "studio standard," but most of us are just hobbyists, not studio engineers. Hell, why not recommend Nuendo?

This isn't a holy war. If someone asks for recommendations, present your favorite software and point out its merits, but don't blow up at others who do the same. You know I respect your opinion quite highly, but read back over your posts here and tell me you haven't gone too far.

Tchuss.

-steve

• 2 months later...

Well, I've finally got the software I ordered (*mumbles about academic pricing being good, but the special orders taking *forever*). I did go with FL Studio XXL for two reasons: one was the price, and the other was that I'm wary about buying a piece of software (Cubase, in this case) that I can't demo first, or at least watch someone else use. They won't do any demos now unless you buy the copy protection key first, and I don't like the idea of paying $30 for something I may only use for a couple days.

Anyway, I put the extra cash saved on a sequencer towards EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, so now it's time to actually write something.