GrayLightning

Reu Fallthrough

remixer name: Reu

email: Reuy@email.com

remix info:

Name of game: Chrono cross

Songs: Reminiscence, time of the dream watch

Comment about mix:

A piano solo sets the mood of reminiscence, then an exciting ethnic orchestra combination provides the excitement of the hope of the future.

Source: http://www.zophar.net/psf/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 106 Feelings Not Erased - 307 Time of the Dreamwatch

First up. Piano playing for the first 2 minutes is wonderful. I'd be happy if you just kept the piano going to be honest. It's not too conservative, is played very well too. The piano wouldn't survive on it's own as it is though. You'd either need to extract this from the rest of the mix and embellish it to it's full extent, or fix up the second half. But as a lead up, it works very well.

Unfortunately from 2:00 in, you launched into a very conservative second half remix of Time of the Dreamworld. Your drum samples are, I have to say, below average. The panning of those samples just got annoying after so long. Hearing the same repeated patterns over and over again became repetative, and they're almost identical in their programming as they were in the original.

The mixing of the instruments in the second half way fairly good. The horn sounds very nice, you have a great sound going there. Unfortunately the second half is just too damn close to the source. You haven't really shown any initiative there.

I'd be willing to look at this one again if it was given some proper arrangement ideas in the second half. Also if you retweaked that percussion so it was a little less annoying, and a little more original.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 106 "Reminiscence - Feelings Not Erased" (:00-1:50) & 307 "Time of the Dreamwatch" (1:50-4:10)

I like the track, but the arrangement doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the source. "Reminiscence - Feelings Not Erased" is solo piano, and the first half here is basically a playthrough of the original only a bit more delicate and with more embellishments/accompaniment. Nothing really going on to distinguish it significantly from the original.

Second half is a fairly straightforward conversion to some richer sounds than the original. The drum writing sounds way too similar and the melody's verbatim.

2:30 finally brought in some nice original material, and then combined it at 3:00 with piano playing the Dreamwatch melody for a little bit. But at 3:33 it was back to the conservative cover for the finish.

I'd like to hear some branching out in terms of the instrumentation Reu uses for his cinematic-style writing. I suppose if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it really makes his material sound too samey and formulaic. The same criticisms apply for the tempo and mood, IMO. You can only eat steak for dinner each night for so long before you get tired of having the same thing every time. This was genuinely enjoyable, and I actually liked all of the sounds, but it's not interpretive enough or additive enough to significantly distinguish it from the originals.

NO

I have to agree with the criticisms on this mix.

Generally both sections just don't seem to have enough variation and expansion from an arrangement and composition department. There's not much in the way of genre adaptation either.

I agree with larry where the first part was more conservative than the second part.

I disagree with the above criticism on the Taiko sound quality. That's the way they sound like by nature and are good.

One point that was stand out was the ending, you did a fantastic job there.

I do like Reu's mixes quite a bit, but at one point there has to be more out there available than just having the chinese flute on melody, piano and string playing harmony with the taikos in the background. Not really relevant to the point here. But while I hear some good ornamentation here that makes me very borderline on this mix, ultimately it's the lack of arrangement/expansion/change of structure/genre adaptation that makes me hesitant here.

NO