Hiryuu vs. Strago (Final Fantasy Crystal Clash)

MindWanderer

Seems weird to be posting a compo entry to the WIP forum before the deadline, but Brandon suggested it, so here goes.

Blue Wind

I welcome any and all comments and criticism.

I'll only have a few hours tonight to work on it for the compo, but if I get generally positive feedback, or if I get any votes at all against Sixto freaking Sounds, I may keep working on it afterwards. I may also end up removing all the Strago parts (which don't blend well with Hiryuu and changes keys every other stanza or so) and replacing them with another theme, so if you're seeing this some time after the submission deadline, I'd be interested mainly in feedback on the Hiryuu sections.

Seems weird to be posting a compo entry to the WIP forum before the deadline, but Brandon suggested it, so here goes.

Blue Wind

I welcome any and all comments and criticism.

I'll only have a few hours tonight to work on it for the compo, but if I get generally positive feedback, or if I get any votes at all against Sixto freaking Sounds, I may keep working on it afterwards. I may also end up removing all the Strago parts (which don't blend well with Hiryuu and changes keys every other stanza or so) and replacing them with another theme, so if you're seeing this some time after the submission deadline, I'd be interested mainly in feedback on the Hiryuu sections.

• Honestly, I like the Strago parts better than the Hiryuu parts, but that's just me.
  • Drums are pretty weak in the intro, aside from the cymbal part.
  • Also in the intro, I think you need to add more to the soundscape, as it's pretty flat now.
  • Flute's too soft I think, so raise it up. (A flute is one of the most prominent instruments in a band, make it seem that way)
  • Now that I'm listening to your Strago, I like it, but the lead should be way louder.
  • Last part is really good, just metal guitars need to come out more and other leads in the part like the flute.
  • If you're going to end it like that, make it really loud and dramatic.

MW, your main problem is that you make the background really good, but neglect on the melody. Fix these things, and it would probably be a winning song (against anyone except Sixto).

Not sure about opening with the clarinet ensemble, sounds a bit empty. Mix is dead and muffled when the rest of the orchestra comes in. timpani is too lofi, cymbals are too sharp and weird sounding. synth and drum kit sounds too loud compared to the previous section. drums sound fake and unprocessed. guitar sounds pretty bad, not at all powerful like it should be. sorry for all the negativity, but I think the track needs a lot of work from the mix and sound selection standpoint.