*NO* Unreal 'The Trench'

djpretzel

Email sub file Fifth3_Final_OCRemix.mp3

Thats right people, a Remix of one the most greates song in Unreal1: fifth.umx aka Trench or Ivs-Kran.

::Title song - utend.umx - are much better, I cant remix it like a techno song::

---

This is a Metal\Rock Song that I did while I was studying for my math school test n_n

Dont worry for that, I pass is!, that bad new is: Slayers, I hate that thing, but! I think that those distorted things sounds really good with this song!

So, I hope you like it as I like it. Of course, Im an amateur artist :D

---

• 3 weeks later...

Meh. I listened to every Michiel van den Bos track in the Unreal soundtrack I DLed from Mirsoft (only available if you have a login) and couldn't find a damn thing that sounded like this, hence the holdup. (Thanks to TO for finding the soundtrack). Obviously, the sub letter offers something that's supposed to identify the original, but I couldn't find the UMX-format soundtrack, and nothing here sounds like it. Apparently, it's "Hub 5", but I dunno. Hell, I listened to everything, and no dice. Send an MP3 of the original next time. If I find anything later, I might update my comments, but otherwise I didn't think this was strong enough regardless.

Decent opening, immediately messing the tempo. Synth guitar doesn't sound real at all, but the tone was decent for what it was. Percussion was also decent to start with but drags over time despite some changeups. Not too much going on in the way of dynamics as the whole basic synth guitar + beats formula gets tired after a while.

Moved over into I guess a bass guitar synth with some basic beats before going right back into the whole formula at 2:10. Vox coming in at 2:10 was so quiet, it was practically a non-factor. Even that quiet though, the low quality still felt exposed to me.

Past 2:45, simply more of the same formula. Promising for a beginner-level effort. The soundfield is reasonably filled out thanks to the guitar, though the construction is noticeably sparse/simplistic when you actually examine how many sounds are in play.

I'd say more, but I'm frankly burnt out after trying to find the source, and thereby can't make any comparisons on that level. Decent start, but it needs more complexity in the writing, more dynamic contrast, and more variation in the instrumentation.

NO

This is vanilla. I think this needs more elements outside the guitar and drums.

My main issue here is the production. Everything is so cloudy and muddy in a cheap way. This needs major EQ work, cut some low/mids, boost a few in the 5-8k range, and modestly at 10-16k to a lesser degree.

Everything sounds so drab and dark, in a cheap way.

The string stabs sound cheap too, it sounds like low quality orchestral hits.

I think the drumwork generally is great though, but it needs more change ups now and then and definitely better mixing/mastering.

Everything else around that needs more work, supporting material, more interesting chord and lead work would help immensely. As I see it you have a good anchor in the drum line, now polish things and work around that.

Ending sounds corny with the vocal fx then one-drum-hit ending.

NO

Tunnel mix. Very muddy in the bass end. Everything is so reverby that it sounds like it's being played down a long tunnel.

The fake guitar is grungey, you've done well getting it to sound that way, but you can still tell it's fake (Not as bad as fake guitar in other mixes that have passed before mind you.)

The problem here is the mix doesn't evolve anywhere. The drums sounds pretty close to the drums from the game, so I'm making an assumption that they're samples from there. It's pretty much just creative work with the drums over throughout the mix, with the FL Slayer and Boobass changing around it every now and then.

If I knew what the source was, I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded almost identical to this but with better instruments and production. If you need to drown your instruments in reverb in order to make them sound good, then you need to find better instruments.

NO