Mother 3 Love Theme Orchestrated

pokemoneinstein

https://soundcloud.com/colinsm/mother-3

What's been laid down is pretty obvious, but after where it's stopped, I'm going to make it more bombastic and use more of the orchestra. For now, I have one big concern aside from random things anyone may notice and want to point out (because I'd love any and all constructive criticisms)

What I'm thinking is that the part where the strings come in is a little too reliant on the high end of the string section, and I'm thinking about turning the violins down more. But there's something else about that section of the song that underwhelms me and I can't put my finger on it. Anyone have any ideas? And while I'm at it, how to I make the transition into that section more fluid?

So, thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? Praise? What do you think of this song so far?

Edited by pokemoneinstein

It sounds promising, but the volume balance is pretty off right now. In the intro I can barely hear the low piano notes, and the rest of the instruments that come later are also quite low. Panning in the strings is kind of weird too.

So far it is conservative but that theme is so beautiful that I don't mind that at all! Good job so far and I look forward to a more complete version!

The instruments are all actually panned according to their placement in an orchestra. So the woodwinds are in the middle, the lower strings are further to the right, etc. So that's what that's for. As for conservatism, it may stay pretty conservative in terms of arrangement. I'm definitely going to be playing with the tempo and inserting different sections of the orchestra as well as hints of different themes from Mother 3. But the end goal isn't necessarily OCR, so I'm not worried about conservatism.

I was kinda wondering about the volume, though. beyond that, it's also way too quiet. Turns out I was working with my computer at full volume and I didn't realize it until a friend of mine was like "jeez man turn it up" haha

Edited by pokemoneinstein

Yeah, the piano is really quiet. Bumping it up by around 8~12 dB should get you close to normal.

The panning on the strings seems fine to me. It's 1:02 that seems awkward. Correct me if I'm wrong, but while the percussion is panned left, it's typically panned center. The weird thing is, this picture shows the percussion on the right, this one shows percussion on the left, and this one shows percussion in the center...

Edited by timaeus222