*NO* Punch-Out!! 'I'm Gon' Eat Cho Kids!'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/punchout.zip - Tracks 8, 20, 23 & 22

Though there were some good parts, I felt the drumming was too basic/placeholder-ish for the first section, but you moved into something less tap-tap-tap-tap-tap after 1:04. Doesn't have to be complicated, just has to drive the music along rather than create a metronome-like beat, so the changeup was good.

Track moved into some majorly liberal freestyling and original material from 2:09 until the end. Well, you certainly didn't lie in the submission letter. Original material on acoustic guitar at 3:30 finally closed it.

Guitar performance was fine, but didn't have enough edge to it. Vigilante would have a better perspective on it. The whole track lacks something to make it stand out from a merely being a reasonably-performed rock cover. Couple that with the second half being original rather than interpretive material, and I can't see a reason to pass it. Rearrange the material more creatively and make it the focal point of most of the mix, not just the first half. Look forward to hearing your future work though.

NO

I remember commenting on this in WIP, before you added the original material.

The cover section is too conservative, the original section has too little to do with the source tune (although it does cite the original chord progression).

The playing is fine and the solo, although not groundbreaking, is appropriate.

There was a time when this would have passed through the panel, but these days our arrangement bar is higher.

Look to integrate your own ideas into the source tune, not just tack them onto the end, and come up with your own interpretations of the original melodies.

There's nothing in the first 4 minutes of this remix that hasn't been done a thousand times before.

NO

the guitar performance isnt terrible...there are plenty of mistakes, particularly in the faster lines where you pick before your left hand presses the right fret. however these mistakes arent horribly prominent or anything. The solo is pretty cool, if somewhat sloppy...bends not going all the way up, rhythms are off the beat, that type of stuff.

For some reason the guitar in the left channel is always too quiet. I think you guys are a bit harsh on the "original" section in the second half. it's very clearly the same progression as the original. I think the arrangement overall is pretty cool.

I'll say this is very borderline.

NO, RESUBZPLZ