Palpable

Contact Info:

Blue Magic

Damon Campbell

User ID: 4656

Submission Info:

Game: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Track: Snowpoint City (midday)

Composer: Junichi Masuda (I'm not 100% on this, but this is what I found on Wiki).

Original song Youtube link: http://youtu.be/iIWg6TUav0g

This remix is part of the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl project [DS EDIT: there's not diamond/pearl project; this is on the Eevee EP] that is directed by Theory of N. If this remix is acceptable, I ask that it gets posted around Christmas time, since it sorta has a holiday vibe to it. However, I do understand if that's not possible.

This mix is a chill/uplifting piece, mainly inspired by my daughter. I was actually pictured her and my dog playing in the snow together as I made it (even though she has never seen snow before). I honestly can't think of much to say about this mix. I'm striving to make remixes that outdoes the last one I made in terms of creativity and overall quality, and with that in mind, I feel that this one is definitely my best mix yet.

I added the link for the mp3 on my Sound Cloud page for streaming, and a link to the WAV file on Google docs.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Damon

Edited by DarkeSword

Nice textures in this, and the bass and drums have a really nice groove together; the synch keeps the main hook present throughout, while the rest is expanded upon. The sounds fit really nicely together, and the overall mood was classy. It has a bit of a winter vibe and an uplifting mood, which makes it really nice to listen to.

Good production, good expansion, nice source, seems to add up to a Yes to me!

The strings definitely were thin, though serviceable, but those attacks always seem too sharp and stabby. The piano also sounds super-duper plucky. The source is similar in the way its leads sound, but those instruments have much softer tones in the original, if that makes sense. The drumkit was serviceable, but another J may want to comment on ways to improve that as well.

Damon really still needs to step up his sound quality, either with upgraded samples or better effects to give his current strings and piano a richer, more realistic tone. That said, this clicks overall. It's not like this piece was close to being rejected, but Damon's limited in what he can do with these sounds.

Anyway, despite those issues, the texture gelled more around 1:01 and didn't look back, with just enough resonance from added parts to glue the sounds together and not terribly expose the samples, all without creating a lot of clutter.

I wouldn't have cut the sleigh bells at 3:01, but that was super minor. Damon did a nice job adding depth to the composition and retaining some of that wintry feel while adding his own distinct energy to it. Didn't have much to say on that level other than it was solid!

YES

Edited by Liontamer

Larry hit the nail on the head when he said that the samples were a bit weak individually, yet they come together to make something very nice. This mix would definitely have been better served by different drums, different piano sample, and maybe some other stuff, but the arrangement is undeniably catchy. Honestly, I could rip into it, but why bother? It's definitely a good clean mix, a very nice arrangement, and the whole thing just works. That's something I can definitely get behind!

YES

Great vibe going on here! Plenty of source and fun personalization. I agree about the samples, strings and piano in particular are thin and stabby, but the writing it dynamite. Yeah, drum kit could be better too. Fantastic arrangement though, really nice track. I love the synth lead at 1:21, and the soloing at 1:40 also. I feel like the ending didn't really need to fade... it could just have ended on that last cool chord... but that's a super minor nitpick.

YES