*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Do the Owzer' *FT*

Liontamer

Hello, I am messaging you to request a fall-through for a remix I submitted. It's called Do The Owzer, an FF6 remix. I resubmitted it quite recently (within the past few days), but I first submitted it in the summer of last year, but it never reached the panel even though I received confirmation of its reception. Here are the contents of the e-mail to save you time...

Thank You,

Nathan Black

P.S. I submitted it under the Artist Name "Nathanus Blackus" but have since changed to simply "Nathan Black," so if the remix is accepted, please post it with that as my artist name. Thank you again. :)

--------- ORIGINAL E-MAIL -----------

Dear Submissions Board,

Here is my remix of Owzer's Theme (or The Magic House) from Final Fantasy 6. Yes, I know the game is heavily, heavily covered, but I feel this is a song that deserved some attention.

Information:

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name - Nathanus Blackus

Your real name - Nathan Albert

Your email address - nathanusblackus@gmail.com

Your website - www.myspace.com/nathanblackproductions

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums - I have no idea.

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed - Final Fantasy 6

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed - The Magic House

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. - I was attempting for something of a classical/church feel with an old-school R&B rhythm to accent it. The

synth voice is actually a very ugly sounding soundfont I distorted, flangered, chorused, and heaven knows what else. The harpsichord was originally a piano, but I thought the change gave it a more Owzer-ish feel. :) The pizz strings were there for backup and rhythmic purposes, and I certainly think they did their job. The inspiration came from God knows where, but I thank my muse in disguise. I had a lot of fun making this and exploring the many niches of FL Studio. At any rate, I hope you enjoy my remix.

--------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "The Magic House" (ff6-310.spc)

Opened up with some very thin, synthetic sounding strings and bass. Harpsichord coming in at :15 sounds really robotically handled as well, and the arrangement isn't very interpretive besides playing with the rhythms a little bit. Beats/kicks coming in at :32 were really sparse and basic as well.

Synth vox at :48 with the source chorus doesn't sound too bad, per se, as I appreciate the attempt to create a different sound with the effects you used. But there's definitely no sense of fluidity in the performance from any of the instruments used, from the bowed strings, to the bass guitar, to the pizz strings.

You're certainly trying to create some texture here, but aside from the part with the vox, the soundfield sounds very sparse. You certainly have the ambition to get various sounds to compliment each other and fill out the soundfield based on your submission letter, but you're definitely only as a beginner level.

Work on creating a more interpretive and personalized arrangement (primarily not keeping the melodic content nearly the same), as well as creating more fluid performance dynamics so the flow sounds more natural, and creating fuller textures with the combinations of sounds you're using. The ReMixing and Works forums will help you work on improving your material from the ground up and getting feedback on your progress.

NO

sequencing is mechanical and the arrangement manages to be both aimless and uninterpretive.

that being said, I think you have what it takes to get a mix over "the bar," but it's going to take some work, and some development.

work on your sequencing (slight changes to the velocities can make it sound less robotic)

try and give the song a dynamic shape, as opposed to having it hover at the same volume the whole time.

that and maybe thrown in a different harmonic structure at some point. it's hard to use the same four chords the whole song and still keep things interesting.

things to consider anyway.

NO

I'll be brief as the other judges covered most of my concerns here, however...

I think the arrangement is being shortchanged, there's actually a lot of subtle changes going on here. Different rhythm, structure, timing, key.

That being said the execution is a mess. Some of the sounds just clash both compositionally and in the execution. The sequencing is incredibly mechanical too. Too on the spot, and quantized sounding.

Production is average, but there's quite a lot of clipping too.

This needs quite a bit of work per the comments I and the other judges made. NO