ReMixer name: ladyWildfire, Mirby

email address:

website: https://soundcloud.com/ladywildfire, http://mirbystudios.tumblr.com/

userid: 11659, 23470

Submission Information

Name of games arranged: The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons

Name of arrangement: Lava Raga

Name of individual songs arranged: Subrosia, Overworld Theme

Comments: This song will be featured on the upcoming Oracle of Seasons remix project, Lime of the Season

--------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty cool mood established here overall. The samples were fine, and the mood conveyed was solid. I'd have preferred a little more percussive excitement overall, as there wasn't much in the way of fills or even cymbal crashes- just a looped (though layered) beat. I really think that as the song goes on, the beat is what feels the weakest to me.

The ending sounded a bit dissonant to me as well, im not sure if that part that comes in at the end really adds to the piece, but for me personally it detracts.

Make that beat exciting! Please!

No, please resubmit

Cool Egyptian mood! I like your instrument choices and quite a bit of your writing. There are some good little solos, variations and flair on the melody in some places. I like how you've integrated the main theme into the mix, too.

I have to agree the drum writing sounds like a simple loop for the most part. The finger cymbals are used all the way through the track, how about switching those up for something else at some point? Some beat variation would really be nice. Starting at 2:08 you have some pretty heavy sidechaining on the pad-like synth, and without a beat to match it, it feels a bit pumpy and odd especially since it goes on for so long.

There are areas where the writing is very simple and repetitive that rely on the same (or same-ish) basic melody and chord progression and simple bass patterns for a bit too long. This is a long track, maybe you could lose a few bars of the same thing for the sake of keeping the listener engaged better, or at least vary the sounds some more. For example, your glitchy intro goes on until 1:27, and the glitching loses its interest in that amount of time. You could introduce some different percussion or sweeps or effects or sfx during that time, even while keeping the writing as is, and it would be more interesting. From 3:21 all the way until the end, the arrangement and main melody are quite similar and even with the bit of personalization you've done I start to lose focus and interest. I think some more melody or beat variation and/or ear candy (sweeps, sfx) would go a long way toward breaking up the monotony.

I agree the dissonant bit at the end detracts instead of adds to the mood.

Lots of great stuff going for this track! This can be very cool indeed. Not quite there.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Great use of ethnic percussion and instruments to create the mood here. It really suits the source material. Unfortunately, I wasn't as knocked over by the structure of the arrangement. The biggest issue was that the drums don't evolve much and repeat a lot, so the energy level in the intro was almost the same as the energy level at the most dynamic parts. Even adding one other layer of hand percussion or something would have done good work here. I also agree with what Kris had to say about the writing being a little too repetitive, and could have used paring down or more drastic changes. Be careful with the ending too, what you have just cuts off. A pretty good start, but this needs some expansion of the ideas here.

NO (resubmit)