Kingdom Hearts II - Dearly Beloved

pequinino

This is way compressed -- just look at that waveform on Soundcloud, it's straight sausage. There's no dynamics left in the audio file.

I don't recognize any Dearly Beloved at all in this, so it seems like an original recording to me. Very repetitive, as it seems to just be the one repeating guitar part with some nice strings in the background. The strings are not too bad actually, maybe a little dry, but only because they are so exposed. With it just being the guitar and strings and nothing else, there's a lot more potential to hear the smaller details of each sound.

I'd definitely pull back on the compression a lot (possibly both on the instruments, and on the master) for better dynamics, but you really need to get the recognizable source in there. At 2:38, 2:40, and 2:58 you have sour notes that don't fit in -- out of key notes.

It's a good start but needs a lot of expansion in the arrangement, production tweaks, and some of those melodies from Dearly Beloved! Good luck!!

Yea, I just finished remixing this theme myself not to long ago (see below!), and I can't pick out the source tune even a little bit. Some weird stuff compositionally going on @ 1:12 and 2:35. Some muddled chords that don't jive.

I don't mind the strings and guitar - they sound nice enough, but the arrangement itself isn't interesting enough to hold my attention for very long. needs some new elements and a sense of direction. Nice first steps!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm embarrassingly new to purely digital arranging and don't quite know how to work out all these newfangled things on Ableton, but I'll work some more on it. I think you guys are right about the melody, too. I thought I'd just play with the phrasing and it would carry some of the beauty that the original had, but it seems a bit bland.

kwix- I'll check your remix out and take notes!