Why map MIDI Controls and what is your preferred way?

Hi guys,

I've been looking into MIDI Hardware recently but I've been getting the same reaction I always do when I look at MIDI Hardware:

"With the amount of controls in FL Studio (or any DAW really) and plug-ins, where am I going to put just 8 faders and knobs?"

If the point of the hardware is that I don't have to interface with the software using a keyboard and mouse, I don't see that as actually possible. I also don't see it as speeding up my workflow, either, because if I have to map a few knobs/faders every time I open a plug-in, it seems distracting and tedious.

So I'm putting these question out there:

-Why do you see MIDI Controlling as feasible?

-If you're an FL User, what do you think is the best way to map your controls so that they make the music making process easier, and not tedious?

-What MIDI Controller(s) are you using?

I don't remember the exact way to do it; I'd have to dig through zircon's FL Studio basics video again. But I believe there's a way to permanently set the linkup between specific knobs and faders for each plug-in with a specific MIDI controller, so that everytime you open that plug-in and use that controller, it will remember those settings and you won't have to set them back up all over again. I haven't made much use of it though because I've only barely been using the M-Audio Oxygen25 I purchased a few months ago; generally I only pull it out for using a keyboard.

EDIT: Looks like you have to right-click on the plugin in your browser's Current Project section and use Override Generic Link instead of Link To Controller; that's what makes it stick for future projects.

Edited by Arrow

I used to think the same, but i find that it kindof works the same way as having a new project template does. For example, if you always use a particular synth, you could map your most commonly used parameters on that synth to whichever knobs and save that as part of your default setup. so now instead of mousing in filter cutoff automation, or lfo automation, you can just hit record, and tweak away. it would not only be faster, but you have much more control over the sound in real time.

some programs even have automap software for midi, but i dont know how well that works on FL.

To me, the main benefit of using physical knobs/faders is not for tweaking convenience but for automation quality. It's often a lot easier to get smooth, musical automation curves -- particularly on sampled instruments such as strings -- if you're moving a physical object in realtime rather than dragging a virtual fader with a mouse or drawing non-realtime automation curves. I've started using a drawing tablet for this (routed through MIDITab and LoopBe1), which gives me CC values from both the X and the Y axes as well as from pressure sensitivity. I find that this makes automating things such as strings' dynamic level and vibrato much easier. I may look into breath controllers in the future.

Edited by Moseph

The only things I actually use my Korg microkey 37-key for is modwheel and pitchwheel. Otherwise I tweak a knob on a synth a bit, untweak it, and go to Tools > Last Tweaked > Create Automation Clip, and if that's able to be automated then I go with it. :) I find automation clips to be a more convenient way to write MIDI CC edits than event edits sometimes, and at other times, faster.

I gotta second that automation comment. The two main reasons I use MIDI in my studio are connectivity and performance. Control hasn't really been an issue for me because once I learned how to use a keyboard and mouse (I was originally taught on analogue gear) I grew to like it very much.

The only exception to this is when I use software synths (that's where automation comes in too), I have Cubase templates specifically for each softsynth that I use which lets the important controls be mapped through my master MIDI controller (filters, oscillators etc).

Other than that my MIDI controlling is exclusively limited to automation (clip automation, volume curves etc). All my mixing is done via mouse and keyboard as well as my editing. Cool thing about Cubase is that they have an AI line of desktop audio interfaces (I have the CI2) and they have an all purpose knob that freely adjusts any parameter that the mouse pointer is hovering over in the DAW. I only use this on my mobile rig though.