Final Fantasy VI - Terra's Theme

TeraCMusic

Got around to messing around with it a bit more... I am still looking to make the song longer, but would like suggestions on what to do from 1:37 to 2:10 to make it more interesting. I would also love feedback on the piano bit I added starting at 2:10... I know it sounds a bit fake, but I can probably switch out the VST for a better-sounding one. :) And remember, this is all before I even add violin and vocals to it! That's why this mix is a bit bare overall :P

Update: https://soundcloud.com/teracmusic/terrasthemewipmp3/s-bHHix

The piano at the end doesn't sound out of place compared to the rest of the song, I think it fits.

I think adding a second melody in the 1:37 section would keep things interesting. Not a mimic of the original melody, but something that compliments it.

Okay! I think I might take out that lead and allow some violin improv for that section, and I can add a different synth melody there :) I also might make the background strings more rhythmic instead of having normal whole notes the whole time. I'm glad you like the piano bit at the end! I will try to change the velocities so it sounds a bit more humanized :)

Hm... the bell at 1:14 - 1:36 seems to have one piercing harmonic, but I'm not sure how you could address that in your synth because it's like a movable resonance. :S For most people, I guess 1:28 - 1:36, with the highest notes, could be more noticeable, so I think if the piercing quality is addressed there, that would be enough, at least for me. Maybe a low-pass could be sufficient. :)

I like the whistly instrument and the concept at 1:37, but I think either it's quite loud in the low-mids or can be lowered in volume.

I think the piano tone at 2:11 fits, but it can use more rhythmic offset/errors so that it doesn't feel so quantized, and more velocity variation so it feels more realistic.

Edited by timaeus222

Hm... the bell at 1:14 - 1:36 seems to have one piercing harmonic, but I'm not sure how you could address that in your synth because it's like a movable resonance. :S For most people, I guess 1:28 - 1:36, with the highest notes, could be more noticeable, so I think if the piercing quality is addressed there, that would be enough, at least for me. Maybe a low-pass could be sufficient. :)

I like the whistly instrument and the concept at 1:37, but I think either it's quite loud in the low-mids or can be lowered in volume.

I think the piano tone at 2:11 fits, but it can use more rhythmic offset/errors so that it doesn't feel so quantized, and more velocity variation so it feels more realistic.

I can try to adjust the panning I have on it so it's not as piercing, or I can also lower the velocity some more on the higher notes! I know it was an issue before, and there is already a low-pass on the VST xD

I think I am going to leave the 1:37 part for vocals and violin, since I'm not sure what else to do with it haha :) The whistle thing sounds a bit out of tune to me, so I'll probably play that part (or an improvised variation of it) on violin.

Okay! I will "humanize" the piano the best I can. Thanks! Any ideas on how to end this? I was thinking maybe re-using earlier parts and making it sound really full and epic... I'm never the best at ending songs, especially one that is this creative!

For an ending, maybe you could try a part with pads or strings padding, and maybe your violin as a slow/stretched-out lead.

You might find some inspiration in the quieter parts of these:

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-anderson/i-am-the-sentinel-credits (2:23, 3:15)

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-anderson/remember-me (3:46)

For an ending, maybe you could try a part with pads or strings padding, and maybe your violin as a slow/stretched-out lead.

You might find some inspiration in the quieter parts of these:

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-anderson/i-am-the-sentinel-credits (2:23, 3:15)

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-anderson/remember-me (3:46)

Oooh thank you! I will listen to those for sure :)

Cool treatment of the source tune.

I liked the tones of intro and had a nice moment of recognition at 0:19-0:22.

90s eurotrance piano is hurting my sensibilities at 0:49. The section feels a bit empty in general. Didn't really read the thread carefully what you're planning to do in case you already got plans to fill it up. :) The low whistle lead is pretty static and hogging up the sonic space, but I see you have already some plans to change that up.

I was kind of expecting the piece to pick up (with a nice steady beat or something) for a long time, but perhaps you're going for a more ambient/newagey approach. The progression of a tune is feeling a bit blocky to me, the sections seem to just change into one another, they could build up into each other a bit more. In a way, what I'm hearing now is as if each section was a intro-style build-up followed by a break (which is another intro-style build-up), before the beat (or so) would drop, but that never actually happens.

I very much like the rewriting/harmonization with the piano & stuff from 2:10-> onwards, though the piano is a bit loud and mechanical. The writing's really good! Keen to see how this will continue.