*NO* Spelunky 'A Super Splunky Discovery'

DragonAvenger

I was considering this for a DP, but I'm having a bit of a tough time wrapping my brain around the source usage and would love some help. - Deia

Contact Information

Vortigon

Ziggy Leidelmeyer

https://soundcloud.com/vortigon

userid: 47351

Submission Information

Spelunky

A Super Splunky Discovery

Main Theme, Cave

PC Windows, game made by Derek Yu.

Original Soundtrack:

For me Spelunky is one of those games that is timeless. But the thing that has always stuck with me was the music of the first area, namely the cave. I never got tired of dying since I would just end up listening to that some more. For my remix I tried going for a more mysterious vibe meets adventure compared to the original.

Submission

I'm sending the song as an attachment.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 months later...

Ok I'll try.

remix 0:00-0:43 arpy original intro

remix 0:43-1:02 is 0:06-0:34 of Main Theme source

remix 1:02-1:18 is 0:41-0:57 of Cave source, interpreted yet identifiable

remix 1:18-1:34 is 0:41-0:57 of Cave source, mainly chord structure of source with original piano arp added

remix 1:34-2:01 is 0:41-0:57 of Cave source, piano playing somewhat identifiable interpreted source, synth lead added

remix 2:01-2:28 is 0:41-0:57 of Cave source, SUPER heavily interpreted source chord structure, piano and synth original soloing

remix 2:28-2:56 is 0:41-0:57 of Cave source, piano playing somewhat identifiable interpreted source, synth original soloing

remix 2:56-4:00 is 0:41-0:57 of Cave source, sped up chord structure and heavily interpreted with original piano soloing

remix 4:00-4:03 original bell outro

First, this mix is amazing, I love it. Beautifully produced. But I only hear identifiable source from 0:43-1:18. The Main Theme is readily identifiable imo. The first interpretation of the Cave source is unique and nice, yet identifiable. After 1:18, he introduces a piano arp that doesn't seem to exist anywhere in the source material, and although it is beautiful, it begins to go off the rails away from source. After this point the remix progresses and introduces the synth lead and more piano soloing, all over a somewhat interpreted version of the Cave source's chord progression and partially identifiable source played by the piano. This continues all the way until the brief outro. As far as I can tell, no other portions of the Cave source were used. Some of the piano soloing is following the original line in that short portion of the Cave source, but it's really heavily interpreted. Someone please point out if you think I'm wrong.

tl;dr - I think this is lovely and fun but too liberal. Ow, my brain.

NO

• 1 month later...

I always appreciate it when another J does source analysis. That way I'm more in verification mode, rather than discovery mode. Thanks, Krisina.

Man, dat Main Theme track. Love it.

Arrangement is the main concern cited.

Beginning sounds like it's trying to reference the arp during the Main Theme, but it's too liberal a take if so IMO. Between 2:30 - 2:56 as well as 3:40 - 3:57 I heard the Cave Theme come out in the piano a few times, sandwiched between more original sounding expansions. But yeah, beyond that I'm not really able to identify anything Kristina hasn't already laid out.

Production wise, there's a nice amount of reverb, giving an ethereal feel to the whole thing. I would've liked to hear a bit more contrast in the parts as the song goes on. Yes, hand percussion is added, the portamento synth joins in eventually, but after a while, the same underlying piano textures and constant aforementioned synth start to wear out their welcome to me.

It's a nice piece for sure, and it's definitely possible both Kris and I are still missing connections. Based on what I'm hearing thus far, I'm gonna have to go to the NO camp. However, I'm open to a possible switch if someone can point out more than we're hearing (despite my repetition concerns).

NO resubmit, please

Edited by Nutritious

• 1 month later...

Definitely hearing a solid mix here. Some interesting instrument choices fused together (chimey stuff, piano, porta synth lead and ethnic like drummage) and a lot of riffing throughout to keep things fresh.

From 3:03 the mix got a bit weird for me as the synth solo was starting up, but settled itself. However, at that point of the track I came to the realisation that the slides between the notes on that synth lead were a bit too much across the track. If this is resubbed, I'd like that portamento reduced a little just so things aren't as wacky and the melody is hit clearer.

Ultimately what we have here is beautiful production with a little too much scuffle to find source. We need to hear more of that source tune. I don't think weaving more in will be terribly difficult, the entire song is there, just have to use the melody more upfront. If you can do that (and possibly tone that portamento down a little), we're there.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster