*NO* Dragon's Lair 'Dirk the Daring'

djpretzel

Hello Overclocked ReMix!

I wish to send a remix i made of a song from a videogame:

Remixer Name: Kriko

My Email: dea138@hotmail.com

Videogame: Dragon’s Lair (NES)

Song Remixed: Title Screen

I recently picked up the good old NES game Dragon’s Lair and found out that the title screen music is pretty good and deserves to be remixed. Here’s my version of it. I tried to keep the kind of medieval feeling it has.

Unfortunately i do not know who composed the origial music. Searching the internet didn’t give much and not even finishing the game will show any credit. I didn’t actually finish the game (which seems to be somewhat

impossible) but a site told so. I left the Composer field in the tag empty fow now.

Thank you.

Here is the link to the song. Scroll down the site and press “free” and wait 20 seconds then it will appear. (Sorry about this)

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/dragonsl.zip - Track 5

Not to poo on the original track, but I didn't see what was so hot about it. Only about 33 seconds long, not really catchy. Then again, people in the community make great arrangements from bleh stuff all the time.

Opened up with some quick chiptune homage, I guess direct-sampled, before bringing in some very flimsy beats and bass at :06. Source melody arrives at :21 along with a woodwind on counterpoint.

The instrumentation is so lacking of energy. The percussion patterns are way too simple and plodding. The 1:43-2:03 section has the woodwind and bass taking the lion's share to change things up briefly, but the overall energy level and plodding beats meant that the dynamics didn't really change.

The last section from 2:03-2:50/end was another iteration of the first part with no meaningful changes. Top off with an aburpt, non-satisfying ending and it's an easy call.

NO

I wonder, I think Israfel might enjoy that source tune.

I actually like it, it has a neat middle ages sound to it.

The arrangement itself is really straightforward with some minor embellishments in the composition. This really needs more personalization and expansion.

Production is plain jane too - but it's serviceable.

But really without the arrangement work or production edge, I'm not sure where this generally excels at. Not bad, but not up to the bar either. Hope to hear more from you though, possibly with a major rework of this mix if that is agreeable to you. But NO as is.