*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Eye of the Tempest'

djpretzel

email sub file Eye of the Tempest.mp3

Remixer name: obsidian

email: vaace4434@hotmail.com

Name of game remixed: Legend of Zelda: Ocrarina of Time

Song Remixed: Gerudo Valley Theme

Comments:

I incorporated different, unique approaches to this abused, but awesome theme. I first start with a bell-like ambience and contrabass solo to begin the ballad/waltz section of the remix. Then, a vocal-bell chorale ends the dramatic interp and a synth-lead begins the techno-like ending. I used most of the melodies from the original track and added some of my own. As the name suggests, I implemented a "wind" theme to help express the harsh desert the Gerudos live in. Very emotional indeed.... Enjoy.

Contrabass sounds fake and lacks definition. Pretty boring for a solo. Bell stuff on top is alright, but it repeats too much.

The whole waltz section sounds too fake and mechanical, so it isn't effective at all.

Constant iterations of the chord progression by itself is also really a waste. What's the point? The song has four; we know them by heart after the first 10 seconds of the song.

The sounds in the "techno-like" section are really weak, especially that syncopated one. Then everything just starts bleeding together. The percussion is also really basic and boring. The synths that you have playing your own melodies are shrill and annoying.

The wind is gimmicky.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 68 "Gerudo Valley"

Damn, that intro was hot. Why did it have to go downhill from there? Agreed with DarkeSword that the contrabass sounds really SOOOOO mechanical. Belltones later on helped, but the track was so robotically sequenced and barren. You went from hot to not in about 37 seconds with this one. It's like reading an issue of Teen People.

Finally faded some supporting strings in at 1:47, but this bass sucks, I'm sorry. Even if it sounded perfect, I don't see how one instrument would be able to fill out the soundfield well enough. You need to bring in the various other instruments/elements way sooner, especially because those ideas showed a lot of promise.

The vox-focused section from 2:45-3:43 was a very nice concept, but could still use something to fill it out a bit more. Plus everything there sounded pretty lo-fi.

Transition to some electronic stuff which started picking up at 3:59 and gradually built up. Didn't quite seem like things were even matching up with the beats up from 4:07-4:37, and the soundfield got flooded as you threw more and more stuff in. Pretty sloppy execution of a potentially good idea.

Some thin (I guess) Middle Eastern-type lead at 4:37 came in, before gradually being swamped by more and more stuff at 4:52. Beats are off again, and everything's just too cramped and busy.

Hahaha. Some SID-level synths at 5:38 for that "low-quality" retro flava. Man, this entire arrangement got so disjointed. I'm not even gonna attempt to say how it needs to be improved other than be more judicious with everything and learn to focus. Man, that intro was hot...

NO

This is above our file size requirements. Please read the submission page: http://www.ocremix.org/about/?artid=4

Very mechanical and robotic sequencing. Much of the sounds lack any definition even when isolated. It sounds almost lofi. There are better free soundfonts than this.

The first two minutes were really problematic. But I did like it a lot more once the string ensemble/pads started to enter the picture.

As to be expected, I love the synth bells and chromatic bells in this mix. I wish you sequenced them a bit better though. They and the other elements sound so jerky due to the mechanical sequencing.

I did really like how you segued from that to the electronic section though. Nice processing start to finish. But beyond that it was a little messy both compositionally and in production. I do love the retro lead synths in this too, especially near the end parts..

Neat ideas that unfortunately aren't capitalized on due to poor sequencing and lack of polish. I really wish you'd consider resubmitting this with major work done to clean this up.

Keep working at it. NO